well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Andrew Sullivan on Covington and the abyss of hate vs hate

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Andrew Sullivan on Covington and the abyss of hate vs hate
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
http://nymag.com/intelligencer...e.html?utm_source=tw

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
By the way, this is the first I've actually read about the video and the reaction as it unfolded. Nothing to say other than 'wow'. Or maybe 'Jesus'.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced I want to read Sullivan, but Master Nicholas had a sit down (NBC).

I managed to get through 1:04. Without sound.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sullivan is a jackass but if you find yourself inclined to read him, read this first.

He’s still a jackass but he’s moving:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer...catholic-church.html

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why do you think he’s a jackass?

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. FWIW, I don't find Sullivan to be a jackass at all. A bit full of himself, but that's hardly unique among pundits of late.

There are 2 things that keep resonating in my head: 1) where were the chaperones?; 2) why were they wearing MAGA hats?

I keep looking at that from the perspective of a parent who has allowed their kid to go on a school-sponsored field trip to Washington, DC. First, I am not comfortable (and have said earlier) that the notion of sending a pile of high school kids to protest in Washington DC strikes me as wholly inappropriate. They weren't going to see the museums and look at the Declaration of Independence. They were going to protest. School-sponsored high school field trip. Blergh. Second, wearing a MAGA hat sends a message. It's a silent taunt to many people. If the kids weren't aware of that (though that seems impossible), adults should have set them straight.

This situation could have easily turned violent. Easily. How would people feel about this field trip had that happened?

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post