well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Monterey Jack cheese
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monterey Jack cheese
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Today I was surprised to find that block Monterey Jack cheese is not available in grocery stores here. I asked one of the store managers why and she said no one has ever asked for it before. Seems crazy when I think of how popular it is in CA - second only to cheddar in popularity.

It’s not unavailable - Walmart has it - but it’s not popular. I bought some “brick cheese” which is similar and I actually like better. I’ve never seen it before but it reminds me of Mexican white cheese Queso blanco.

Do you use Monterey Jack cheese? Do you have to out if your way to find it?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not at the top of my list of favorite cheeses, so I've never looked for it in block form. See it all the time sliced. And lots of pepper jack.

edit: Now that I think about it, I think our local Kroger-owned store (Mariano's) carries the small blocks of Sargento or Kraft Monterey Jack.

What do you use it for? To eat straight? As a topping for certain dishes?

Brick isn't my cheese either. Some of the aged brick can be pretty potent.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of fans of Mexican food here. There is a carniceria that sells Mexican style meats
and other grocery items that are from Mexico.
There are also a lot of Mexicans. The ski resorts hire a lot of them.
There are more Mexican restaurants than Starbuck's.
Not sure I could live where there is no Monterey Jack.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
It’s not common here, either.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I guess Midwesterners don’t know Jack.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We use it in Mexican dishes in place of Queso Blanco.. It melts well on hamburgers and it’s a good addition to salads and such.

There are lots of other cheeses that work - I’m just surprised at how different the markets are. I’ve never seen so many kinds of cheddar.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Surprised it’s not available there. Easy to find here. Sometimes it’s just labeled as Jack.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
We have it on occasion but it's not a regular cheese for us.

We can get any kind of cheese we want here in WI. I have grown particularly fond of aged cheddar. The older the better. Aldi has it now, but is limited to 4 or 5 years. At our local butcher shop they always have the 7, 10 and even 15 year aged cheddar.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Down here we are the happy beneficiaries of the cheese that spills over from the great cheesemaking state of WI.

Since the 1980s we've been frequenting a family-run cheese factory up in Door County called Renard's ; it's been there forever. Markj's right about the aged cheddar. We routinely bought Renard's 5 year cheddar and occasionally some of the older stuff.

Interesting how some things are very local. As close as we are to Wisconsin, we never saw the aged cheddar in Chicago. Only place was to buy was at the local WI shops in the areas where these family cheesemakers have their businesses.

Another (very) local food specialty that we discovered on our Door County jaunts is Belgian trippe that we used to pick up at Marchant's in Brussels (of course, where else?)

quote:
Our full service meat counter carries quality fresh cuts of pork, beef, hams and sausages with friendly service. We also have in-house smoking and make our own sausages, bologna, hams and bacon. One of our specialty sausages is homemade Belgian Trippe. Trippe are much like brats, but contain cooked cabbage.

Trippe is to die for. Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I think Quirt has said that it's hard to find shredded Monterey Jack here, but you can get it in blocks or sliced.

I like it fine, but I don't seek it out. Just for eating sliced, I like Dubliner cheddar.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I use monterey jack as a substitute for cotija (mexican cheese) a lot. It's perfect with green chile and other mexican type food. We have it in all the stores here. Oddly enough, we also can get cotija which was harder to find in Arizona than here.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Wow, no Monteray Jack?

I buy tons of it at the grocery store, including PepperJack. I use it in Mexican cooking (e.g. to top green chili enchiladas) and for quesadillas. I find the flavor of cheddar clashes with Mexican food.

I can get Mexican cheeses too, but Jack melts better. And it's cheaper.

Go to war over it, Steve!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Turns out Walmart has plenty of it and they have granulated garlic too.

I’m not a fan of Walmart but they sure have a nice grocery department… hide

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel better, Walmart sells the most organic groceries in the world.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Turns out Walmart has plenty of it and they have granulated garlic too.
But do they have Tillamook?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post