well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    for those who spread misinfo on social media then get sick
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

for those who spread misinfo on social media then get sick
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Tots and pears.

Yeah, it took me a moment, but I finally got it ... Big Grin

Posts: 12525 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Lurker:
owning the libs

sheesh.

--------------------------------
Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Geez, that’s flip, isn’t it? I should feel bad for posting it.

But I’m just worn out.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Republicans are basically bumping off their own base. I don't get it.

That's how I think of it. The simple answer is they don't think.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21314 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
The Republicans are basically bumping off their own base. I don't get it.

That's how I think of it. The simple answer is they don't think.

I'm getting the feeling increasingly that it's explained by the great income polarization on the Right. I think their wealthy ARE getting vaccinated (and if they get sick anyhow, access to the best medical care) - they just don't admit it as policy.

The lower income GOP are the ones fighting the vaccine. Their upperclass are the ones who don't give a hoot about their underclass (who persist in supporting the GOP.) Among other reasons, I figure that's because they identify with the rich, and the ideal of not supporting a social safety net in the interests of maximizing the advantages of the rich with whom they identify.

It's almost only the poorer GOP who die (as in the thread title). Not enough, though, to make a significant difference in their electorate for the party as a whole to (officially) push for vaccinations.

AFAIC it's the same reason their uneducated blue collar support Trump even though it means he and his supporters continue opposing social programs from which they benefit. For instance, I've been struck (observing a FB friend) in TN who persists in supporting Trump even thought she herself suffers greatly because her RW state opposed applying for Medicaid subsidies*. The results - she can't get much needed medical care she greatly needs.

It seems so many keep at it, because of their "ideals" - "freedom" as Amurricans, how strongly they remain anti-abortion and how they resent what they see as the elite, educated LW snobs who look down on them. Also, how adamantly they oppose immigrant rights. (It's as if they feel welfare benefiting immigrants is taken directly from their own pockets).

Somehow the lower class don't make the connection between what their leaders support and how their class loses out. Meanwhile, their economically top tier really don't care about the ones who die.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
* Tennessee federal Medicaid policy

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post

Another day in Paradise.

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

Somehow the lower class don't make the connection between what their leaders support and how their class loses out. Meanwhile, their economically top tier really don't care about the ones who die.

Chas posted an excellent article on FB about human sacrifice for the corporate gods. I'll post it here. very interesting.

Another day in Paradise.

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
Amanda... goes with your post IMHO.

Stolen from CHAS's facebook page.

https://www.theatlantic.com/id...wEcev-7Mx82cIMAEpx0o

Another day in Paradise.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Not as much spreading misinformation, but in his last post before he quit the Washington State Patrol instead of getting vaccinated, this guy told the Governor to kiss his ȧss.

Three months later, he's dead.

https://www.seattlepi.com/loca...ss-dies-16820330.php

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30035 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Lurker:
owning the libs

sheesh.

pianojuggler... that's where I got the cemetary pic lol

Another day in Paradise.

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
covid is also the #1 killer of police.

https://www.officer.com/comman...icers-to-get-vaccine

Another day in Paradise.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
Amanda... goes with your post IMHO.

Stolen from CHAS's facebook page.

https://www.theatlantic.com/id...wEcev-7Mx82cIMAEpx0o

Thanks, John.
It's a very intriguing and creative way of interpreting what's transpiring during our current epidemic in terms of vaccine rejection.

The only thing is that the "sacrifices" are absolutely oblivious to the role they're playing.
If those taking the risk of a fatal illness - and/or disability - were aware that they're taking that risk (instead of believing that the risk of being vaccinated was greater), it would be a closer parallel.

That said, yes, the policy makers are well aware of the risk they're subjecting their followers to and they're doing it for what they see as the "greater good" (or economic profit).
Also, that they're sacrificing the "least valuable" members of society (in terms of what they're worth - as in "how much is so-and-so 'worth'"?)

I am sure there are people capable of (quite likely participating in) making calculations of just what classes of citizens are worth.(Public policy makers?) The only notable discrepancy is the class of physicians. They are both at highest risk while possessing highest social value, though they are as a whole getting vaccinated. (No wonder not a few doctors and other medical professionals are leaving their fields, despite the expense of their training.)

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Snobbily perhaps, one could (plenty on this site have) also extend the parallel to claiming that the social calculation extends to an estimate of intelligence/reasoning capacity.

That would, of course, assume that those who voluntarily forgo vaccinations (even publicize the value of so-doing), are less intelligent but that would be extremely partisan.

One could perhaps be excused, at least in part, by recalling the fact that foregoing vaccination puts not only those doing so at risk but others - especially, the elderly, the impoverished, the disabled and minority groups - overlapping income considerations.

That would extend the notion of sacrifices to deliberate euthanasia, including among the sacrifices those who are not choosing to play that role (and may be enthusiastic about vaccination).

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would, of course, assume that those who voluntarily forgo vaccinations (even publicize the value of so-doing), are less intelligent but that would be extremely partisan.

Partisan? How about obvious.

People who ignore facts, science, logic despite the risks of their behavior to themselves and their loved ones are not smart.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21314 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post