well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Indian cuisine

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indian cuisine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I've been using ghee that I made in the Instant Pot to cook not only Indian dishes, but all kinds of other stuff. It lends a really nice, slightly nutty flavor, and it doesn't burn as quickly as butter does. Much nicer than the store bought stuff.

How to make ghee in the Instant Pot:

https://ministryofcurry.com/ho...de-ghee-instant-pot/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tonight's meal was a rehash of last night....roast lamb and quinoa. I needed a vegetable side dish.

I had a cauliflower in the refrigerator and thought I might zip over to the grocery store to pick up some potatoes to make Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes). When I went to get my car keys I realized that it was pouring outside, so I went back in my cookbook collection and found a really nice recipe for Cauliflower Masala (no potatoes required).

The finished dish:

The recipe is from a cookbook by a very sweet Indian lady, Alamelu Vairavan, who had a cooking show for a few years on Milwaukee Public Television. Her recipes are generally pretty unfussy and easy to make. Here's the cauliflower one:

Cauliflower Masala from Healthful Indian Flavors with Alamelu

3 cups cauliflower pieces cut in 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks including short stems

2 tbsps oil (I used ghee)

1/2 tsp black mustard seeds

1/2 tsp urad dal (I substituted cumin seeds, per Alamelu's suggested substitutions for ingredients you may not have on hand)

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh from my garden!)

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and diced (my addition, not in her recipe... because I have more jalapeno peppers than I know what to do with in my garden! Also provided some green because Mr wtg doesn't like cilantro, so I never use it)

2 or 3 garlic cloves chopped

1/4 tsp ground turmeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 cup tomato sauce. (I had none in the house, but I did have my trusty tomato powder. See this guide to using tomato powder. I get mine from The Spice House. Once you try it, you'll never be without it.)

1 tsp salt

The photo in the cookbook also shows a cilantro garnish.

1. Steam the cauliflower pieces until crisp-tender.

2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add mustard seeds and urad dal. cover and cook until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown, about 30 seconds.

3. Add onions, tomatoes, jalapenos (if using), and garlic. Stir fry for 1 minute over medium heat.

4. Add turmeric, cayenne, and cumin. Stir well over medium heat for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and salt. Mix well to obtain a thick paste-like consistency.

5. Add steamed cauliflower pieces and stir carefully to coat with sauce. cook uncovered over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Looks super Yummy

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Mmm, WTG, I have half a head of cauliflower in the fridge and have been wondering what to do with it. Wonder if I could also throw in some broccoli, also just sitting in there, looking forlorn.

I happen to have everything else in your recipe except no fresh cilantro to garnish. I also have a nice recipe for urad dal as a side dish, using browned onions and I can't recall what else. Good cooking.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Go for it! They're both cruciferous vegetables - what could go wrong?

Plus it would be colorful!

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If you use it on a Philly Cheese Steak, I guess I would say ...

Ghee Whiz.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
*groan*

(good to have you back from vacation, P*D - ThumbsUp )

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Looks like MPTV has Alamelu's shows on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/M...search?query=alamelu

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Go for it! They're both cruciferous vegetables - what could go wrong?

Plus it would be colorful!

It worked! No tomato sauce, but I did have fresh tomatoes. Spicing was a little mild, so I upped the measurements. I even found some cooked rice in the fridge and fried that.

So you saved dinner tonight! Smiler

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post