well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Casimir Pulaski

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casimir Pulaski
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In the 1990s, researchers exhumed a set of human remains from a Savannah, Georgia, monument believed to belong to Casimir Pulaski, the swashbuckling Polish cavalryman who fought for the Americans during the Revolutionary War. The circumstances surrounding Pulaski’s death and burial in 1779 were murky, and for more than 150 years, doubts had swirled over whether his body was, in fact, the one that had been interred at the monument built in his honor. The researchers hoped to finally put the debate to rest. But what they found only deepened the mystery surrounding Pulaski’s identification.

The skeleton unearthed from the site appeared characteristically female—particularly the pelvic bones and delicate facial structure. It was possible, the researchers theorized, that the body buried at the monument was not Pulaski’s, as some had suspected. But many of the skeleton’s traits were consistent with Pulaski’s known features: the age of death, the height of the skeleton, a healed injury on the right hand, changes to the hip joints common in frequent riders. So the team came up with another theory: perhaps Pulaski was intersex.

Two decades ago, this hypothesis was difficult to prove. But a new investigation into the DNA of the contested remains, recently chronicled in a Smithsonian Channel documentary, suggests that the skeleton does indeed belong to Pulaski. This, in turn, leads experts to conclude that the Revolutionary War hero was intersex—a general term that the Intersex Society of North America writes applies to people who are born with “a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com...-intersex-180971907/

Interesting observation from a NYT article:

quote:
In Pulaski’s case, Ms. Zieselman said that the discovery highlighted the intersex community’s fight against invisibility — first, by history, when it was common for people not to know they were intersex, and more recently, by surgeries that she said erase intersex traits and identity.

“Just imagine if Casimir Pulaski were born today,” Ms. Zieselman said. He may have been raised as a girl, she said, making it unlikely that he would have joined the military and helped Washington.

“Arguably, if urologists had tried to ‘fix’ Pulaski’s body, the U.S. could still be a British colony.”

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38096 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. I'd never heard of Casimir Pulaski before.

Posts: 35399 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
New Yorkers know him because of the bridge named after him going between Brooklyn and Queens on the BQE.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33809 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a large Polish population here that celebrates Casimir Pulaski Day in early March. But that celebration is pretty recent.

For years the only Pulaski I was familiar with was Pulaski Road.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38096 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have a friend in Pulaski, TN. The town is named after the same guy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35035 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Honestly I thought this guy was after Paderewski and Chopin in terms of famous Poles in the US. (I mean excluding our contemporaries like Lec Walesa)

Posts: 33809 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'd heard of him, but I'm not sure how. Maybe in high school American history?

I'd put Kosciusko on the list of famous Poles, but that's probably because there's a Mississippi town named after him. It's where Oprah was born.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15525 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
My old neighborhood of Greenpoint has both a Kosciusko Bridge and a Pulaski Bridge so both names are familiar and often heard in Greenpoint.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10586 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Fascinating. I'd never heard of Casimir Pulaski before.

Clearly you're not Polish ... Big Grin

Posts: 12597 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
My old neighborhood of Greenpoint has both a Kosciusko Bridge and a Pulaski Bridge so both names are familiar and often heard in Greenpoint.

Indeed and I got the two bridges confused... the Kosciusko bridge is on the BQE, the Pulaski is on McGuinness Blvd.

There is also the Pulaski Skyway, that big ugly structure across the river in New Je4sey.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I'd put Kosciusko on the list of famous Poles,

That’s fair.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I saw a documentary about Kosciusko. He was an important figure in the Revolutionary War as a military engineer, designing fortifications in clever ways to give Americans the advantage.

He was also unusual for his time in hiring American blacks and giving them positions of high responsibility.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13842 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post