well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Did some "plastic" surgery

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did some "plastic" surgery
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
I performed some "plastic surgery" on 3 of my guitars.

Removal of the "Celluoid" Faux Tortoise Shell pickguards.

The only plastic part on the guitars. I never liked the look of these things on guitars. Especially acoustics with gorgeous wood grain.

I never liked how the pickguard was installed on my OO-40. It covered the beautiful abalone in the rosette. I have been threatening to remove it for over 2 years but never had the courage to do it until today.

After discussing the safest way to remove a pickguard with my good friend, and luthier, Bill Hatfield, he assured me it would work and told me to just take my time and be patient.

Naptha to dissolve the adhesive.

Dental floss and a disposable brush to apply the naptha to the adhesive to soften it as I gently pulled up working my way 1mm or less at a time. It took about 15 minutes to remove it and clean up the remaining adhesive residue. Zero damage done to either the top or the pickguard.

I liked the result so much I decided to take on the other two guitars. The Forum VI is so new it had no tan line.

Expected tan lines on the 2015 OO-40 and the 2017 LV-10 50th Anniversary model. I can even out the top and with the old photographic techniques of dodge and burn. Making a mask to shield the darkened areas and expose the lighter areas. Leave it sitting in a window with indirect sunlight for an hour a day until it blends in. The "tan lines" will completely disappear.

Happy with the results on all three of my babies.

The OO-40 was my first ever attempt of doing anything more than changing strings and adjusting the truss rod. The OO-40 was the least expensive of the three guitars. It has a couple of dings on it so, I felt a little braver using it as the first attempt.

Before: Notice how the pickguard covers the abalone ring of the rosette. It should not do that.

After:

The Forum VI

Before: The pickguard was not supposed to be installed from the factory but the first few that shipped had them installed. I have been wanting to remove it since the day I got it.

After: No tan line due to the guitar being only 6 months old and has never seen a window.

The LV-10 50th Anniversary Edition.

Before:

After:

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! I agree, the guitars look much better without...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Thanks wtg!

I am tanning them for a couple of hours. Facing out a window using indirect sunlight.

My crudely made tanning masks.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Good work
Most pick guards look worse than the damage they are supposed to prevent.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Patience is often the most important part of taking tricky things apart...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s slow meticulous work, with a beautiful outcome. Nicely done.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, 1) you are brave! But 2) they all look sooooo much better now!!!! How cool!

although, with or without, those are seriously beautiful guitars!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Good work! I like your aesthetic.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post