well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The coming heat wave.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The coming heat wave.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Holy cow. Triple digits for at least a week in Spokane, and Portland - omg. Seattle doesn’t look so great either. For once Butte’s weather (which will just get into the 90’s for a few days) doesn’t look so bad.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20469 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yikes. That's brutal.

I've been watching the temps in Arizona, Nevada, etc. I didn't realize the heat was moving so far north.

To everyone affected....stay safe....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
113 in Portland has to be some kind of record. I bet you can't buy a window air conditioner anywhere within 200 miles. Eeker

Meanwhile, we've been spared. Mid 80's all weekend.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34986 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You can imagine why I was so frantic trying to find a new air filter! Everyone is out, and my unit, apparently, requires an uncommon size. Of course it does....

So my filter dimensions are 17x25x4, but the actual dimensions need to be less than that. I may have a filter that works, size wise, arriving tomorrow. In the meantime, I have put a 16x25x4 into the unit.

I'm assuming that being 1/2 inch off on each side won't mean the end of the world, if the second filter doesn't arrive, or doesn't fit.

And why do they have filters that are actually BIGGER than the listed size? The ones I tried and failed to use were almost 4.5 inches tall. I need no more than 3.75. Grrrrr. The things I learned this week!

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
So my filter dimensions are 17x25x4, but the actual dimensions need to be less than that.

Yup, that's an oddball, and 4" is stranger yet. No wonder it plugged up. In a pinch you can stack two 2" filters, but even so I'd buy a case. In fact, I'd say it's a proprietary size for the manufacturer of your unit - the sort of thing that drives me crazy.

If the smaller filter is letting air pass unfiltered you can bend some cardboard and tape it to the edges for a better fit. It will work just fine.

Posts: 34986 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post

McGyver is alive and well at Chez Nina Big Grin

Thanks for the tip, Steve. Everything is up and running just fine.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It's 100 here today. And humid. I grilled some dogs and we had cold baked beans out of a can.

Just trying to drink enough water. It's a challenge.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How are y'all doing out there?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Weather Underground has revised the forecast for Portland to 115. That would match the highest temperature ever recorded in Anaheim!

Yikes!

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Ouch!!

Current temp in Santa Fe is a cool 60. And rainy! Seattle and Santa Fe switcheroo.

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
You don't want to know. Leaving

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
105 at the moment, they had predicted 111. I don't see it going up another 6 degrees in the next 3 hours. Fingers crossed.

AC with new filter working like a champ, though!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope the heat wave is over soon.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
An all-time high for the country of Canada was set today. By more than two degrees Farenheit.

And they may hit a new high of several more degrees tomorrow.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A local friend had to scrape ice off her windshield to go to work this morning. 34F at 6:45
hide