well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Post A Non FB Post
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post A Non FB Post
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
I don't go to FB much anymore but today was a lovely day..I would love to share but wouldn't want to expose someone's privacy.

My neighbor, a man in his 70's with a heart condition (and who is a relative of a local politician) was in need of some yard work. His next door neighbor (and my partner in crime) lives across the street from me. She organized a flash gardening mob..(The 2 of us Big Grin ).

He agreed..So we took over his yard, with his help and did lots of trimming and weeding...

So much fun to catch up, chat and get his yard in better shape. We all ended the day happy. Yes

Do you have something to share that you would rather keep off the big Social Media platforms?

Share on with NO identifiers..

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I almost never post to FB, so virtually any post I do here is a non-FB post. But it's been a busy several months for me, starting in mid-March:

Daughter got her PhD
Daughter got engaged
Son is making noises about getting married (but nothing official)
Mr. Nina and I are PR in Canada!
I spent a week in the hospital with an autoimmune issue, and am VERY slowly recuperating while taking a suitcase of steroids as treatment

BeeLady, that sounds like a wonderful afternoon!

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! So much good news but serious bad news too.

Double Congratulations to your accomplished daughter (what's her field?) and good luck to your son on his promising relationship. May it all work out for the best.

Looks like you're going to be very busy playing the mother of the bride role (however they want to do it) and maybe a mother of the groom too!
Are they the DIY informal kind or is there at least one formal affair in the offing?

However, that business of a whole week in the hospital which you didn't even tell us about, sounds awful. Hospitals don't keep people in unless it's serious (thinking drive-through childbirths!).

Hoping your are well mended and that it's not the kind of thing prone to recur.

That's a biggie, and it must have been terrible when it was going on. Hoping at least it was a known issue and that great anxiety and uncertainty weren't added to the problem itself.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Daughter got her PhD
Daughter got engaged
Son is making noises about getting married (but nothing official)
Congrats.
Congrats.
Tentative congrats.
Are you open to adopting?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I don't have a FB, I've never posted on FB, so this is easy.

Tomorrow I am picking up my badge and computer to do some part time work for my former benevolent employer. I'm aiming for 20 hours a week -- two 10-hour days. It's the group I worked in from 2005 through 2013 and they are desperate for some help. With putinflation, a few extra dollars in my pocket won't hurt, although the first $7000 are going into my Roth.

My m-i-l is coming to stay with us for a week and a half. She used to play the banjo and has been trying to re-teach herself some of the old songs. I have placed a banjo in the living room for her to noodle on.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I started having fantasies about going back to school - retooling so that at 70, I'd be ready for another career. Backstory: In my early 20s I did the first year of a Masters in Social Work - but declined the second year which is a practicum because I had a really good job that I did not want to give up. I earned an MBA instead before starting a 3rd Masters program. In any event, I started fantasizing about the MSW program after a 40 year absence. A few things made my smile - being the oldest person in the program was certainly one of them - and thinking about preferred pronouns made my laugh as I have a ridiculous time remembering names of people so pronouns would be a bridge too far. I started thinking about how would the Clint Eastwood character in El Camino deal with a request for preferred pronouns. "Hey, why don't I just call you dirtbag?"

Two of the best references I might have used have recently passed, one in her late 90s, the other in his mid 80s so I'd be out of luck there. My GRE score would be meaningless.

In any event, I decided that there are probably better places to exert efforts though I still am attracted to the idea of taking some classes just to see what "the kids" are up to.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I spent a week in the hospital with an autoimmune issue, and am VERY slowly recuperating while taking a suitcase of steroids as treatment

That PR stuff is interesting! I'm still working on my Proof of Canadian Citizenship Application which I started quite a while back. Per the site, I may expect my proof of citizenship (assuming all goes well) by the middle of 2024 - i.e. in time for the next election!

So, what's your take on Canadian healthcare - if you spent a week in their care?

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry about your health troubles, Nina. As they say, getting older isn't for wimps.

One of my daughters graduated business school a few weeks ago. She wants to do diversity, inclusion and equity, as part of HR. She interned (remotely) for a company in New York, and they have made her a spectacularly good job offer, starting in January. However, she would have to move to NYC, and she has no desire to do that, so she's continuing the job hunt while holding the offer in her pocket.

The other daughter still has not figured out her career path, although she's planning on finishing a major in environmental science. I expect grad school is in her future, but I don't know if it will be right away. Maybe a Masters in Public Policy? Who knows.

I am not aware of any impending marriages for either. Not sure I'm ready for that.

Posts: 45755 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My sister’s husband died yesterday. He was recovering from a stroke he had in April and seemed to be making great progress but a second stroke proved fatal.

My sister is having a very hard time of it. I leave for Alabama tomorrow morning to help with arrangements.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
My sister’s husband died yesterday. He was recovering from a stroke he had in April and seemed to be making great progress but a second stroke proved fatal.

My sister is having a very hard time of it. I leave for Alabama tomorrow morning to help with arrangements.

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss, Steve.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So sorry, Steve.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Sorry your family lost him.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25717 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wednesday a friend of Don's from his Minnesota days took Don and his sister to a Salt Lake City Eagles concert. They stayed in a fine hotel across from the concert hall and had a big time.
The friend bought front and center second row seats $$$.
Don was very concerned that one or more of his health problems would spoil the concert for him.
He had a great time.
Friday Don was at his sister's in Rifle, Colorado when he fell and broke his hip. The surgeon put a "nail" in the bone(s). No crutches allowed. The therapy requires a therapist on each side and Don in a harness. He will get out when he can walk.
His bedroom is on the third floor. He may stay at his sister's for a while.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25717 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Oh man. Don’s has more than his share of health issues lately.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about both your BIL, Steve and Don's hip. I've never heard of a nail and harness therapy. Let's hope it works well and quickly.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post