well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What An Idiot.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What An Idiot.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...813e358a2_story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18...cun-texas/index.html

(Edit, I see WTG linked to the story in another thread)

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20404 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Then there's Rick Perry.

quote:
Former Texas governor Rick Perry suggests that going days without power is a sacrifice Texans should be willing to make if it means keeping federal regulators out of the state’s power grid.

In a blog posted on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's website, Perry is quoted responding to the claim that “those watching on the left may see the situation in Texas as an opportunity to expand their top-down, radical proposals.”

“Texans would be without electricity for longer than three days to keep the federal government out of their business,” Perry is quoted as saying. “Try not to let whatever the crisis of the day is take your eye off of having a resilient grid that keeps America safe personally, economically, and strategically.”

Texas’s power grid, run by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, occupies a unique distinction in the United States in that it does not cross state lines and thus is not under the oversight of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

That has long been a point of pride with Texas politicians who in the 2000s chose to deregulate the state's power market and allow power companies, not state regulators, determine when and how to build and maintain power plants.

https://www.houstonchronicle.c...outs-to-15956705.php

Here's McCarthy's blog:

https://www.republicanleader.gov/whats-up-in-texas/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37725 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Mydaughter’s good friend lives in Houston, and he is actually afraid he might die. The car doesn't work and they are freezing. And his cell phone battery is almost gone. She is really freaked out. Haven’t talked to her for a couple of days to find out if he has power yet or not.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20404 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope this is the end of Cruz.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Hope this is the end of Cruz.
I doubt he will resign. Whoever opposes him in the next election will certainly have plenty of reasons why voters should reject Cruz.

Oh, and let's see his original itinerary. He claims he was just taking his daughter down there to visit a friend. Prove it. Sounds more like he tried to high-tail it back as soon as the news broke.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Never waste a good crisis to push your agenda.

I had prepared a much longer commentary on energy alternatives and their relative pluses and minuses, but it disappeared before posting.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7372 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
he is actually afraid he might die.

I'm sorry. Frowner

I have family and friends in Houston and Austin. So far they are ok, but it is really, really bad. And very scary.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18303 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
His daughters are 10 and 12--certainly old enough to manage a 2-hr direct flight on their own. Also, that's a pretty hefty suitcase for an overnight.

I agree, he got caught and invented that lie on the spot.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I believe Mrs Cruz was also with them. And it wasn't a long-planned trip.

quote:
He said that his two daughters, who are 12 and 10 years old, had asked him and his wife to take them to Mexico after the Cruz family themselves lost electrical power.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/1...as-winter-storm.html

quote:
Cruz’s suggestion that he had flown to Mexico only to drop off is family and leave after less than a full day was contradicted by the fact that he booked his return ticket to Texas only at 6 a.m. Thursday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation who spoke to NBC News.

That source said Cruz had originally been booked to return from Mexico on Saturday.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37725 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
That has long been a point of pride with Texas politicians who in the 2000s chose to deregulate the state's power market and allow power companies, not state regulators, determine when and how to build and maintain power plants.

They did that in CA about 20 years ago. It's been an unrelenting disaster ever since.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34821 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh boy.

quote:
Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was “FREEZING,” as Ms. Cruz put it — and she proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún, where they had stayed “many times,” noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security. The text messages were provided to The New York Times and confirmed by a second person on the thread, who declined to be identified because of the private nature of the texts.

quote:
Mr. Cruz’s critics quickly circulated hashtags mocking his trip: #FlyinTed

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...uz-storm-cancun.html

He shoulda just come home and skipped the good dad story....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When you’re in a hole, stop digging.

quote:
Sen. Ted Cruz said that flying to Cancun, Mexico, as a winter disaster in his home state left millions without power or water "was obviously a mistake" and that "in hindsight I wouldn't have done it."

Cruz, a Texas Republican, spoke to reporters after returning to his Houston home Thursday evening from a trip that has earned fierce criticism on social media and in his own backyard.

"I started having second thoughts almost the moment I sat down on the plane, because on the one hand, all of us who are parents have a responsibility to take care of our kids, take care of our family. That's something Texans have been doing across the state," said Cruz, who had said in an earlier statement that he flew to Mexico because his daughters had asked to take a trip and he was trying to be a "good dad."

"But I also have a responsibility that I take very seriously for the state of Texas and frankly, leaving when so many Texans were hurting didn't feel right and so I changed my return flight and flew back on the first available flight I could take," Cruz continued.

With protesters audible outside his home, Cruz said he understands the anger many Texans feel toward his decision.

"Of course, I understand why people are upset. Listen, we're in a strange time where Twitter's been going crazy and the media is going crazy and there's a lot of venom and vitriol that I think is unfortunate frankly on both sides," Cruz said. "I think everyone ought to treat each other with respect and decency and try to understand each other more particularly at a time of crisis."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18...wer-water/index.html

“We’re in a strange time with Twitter”?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:

I had prepared a much longer commentary on energy alternatives and their relative pluses and minuses, but it disappeared before posting.
Bummer. I had hoped that you would chime in on the Texas power grid crisis given your expertise as a power electrical engineer.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12676 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Then there's Rick Perry.

quote:
Former Texas governor Rick Perry suggests that going days without power is a sacrifice Texans should be willing to make if it means keeping federal regulators out of the state’s power grid.

In a blog posted on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's website, Perry is quoted responding to the claim that “those watching on the left may see the situation in Texas as an opportunity to expand their top-down, radical proposals.”

“Texans would be without electricity for longer than three days to keep the federal government out of their business,” Perry is quoted as saying. “Try not to let whatever the crisis of the day is take your eye off of having a resilient grid that keeps America safe personally, economically, and strategically.”

Texas’s power grid, run by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, occupies a unique distinction in the United States in that it does not cross state lines and thus is not under the oversight of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

https://www.houstonchronicle.c...outs-to-15956705.php

Here's McCarthy's blog:

https://www.republicanleader.gov/whats-up-in-texas/

I’m sure Perry feels that way, but I’m not sure he’s speaking for the actual citizens of Texas. Seems pretty miserable.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you’re in a hole, stop digging.

Nobody in the Trump orbit seems to believe in the first law of holes.

Posts: 12492 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post