well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cleaning House

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning House
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We used to have a lady come in every couple of weeks to clean the house but we don't have her come in these days even though we still pay her. That means we clean the house ourselves. My particular specialty is the kitchen and the bathrooms. I also dust.

I've learned a trick I'd like to share. The hot ticket for cleaning bath tubs and showers is my long handled car washing brush.

Spray shower cleaner/Scrubbing Bubbles on the walls and doors, let it sit for a while then scrub with the brush. No reaching, no stooping, no hands and knees. Rinse with same brush that has been run under water. Slick!

Judging by how hard it is to find cleaning supplies, I'd say a lot of people are cleaning their own houses these days.

What's your favorite tip?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
The cleaning tips I have learned from my cleaners..two I have been using after observing them.

If cleaning the whole house, turn on all the lights. As you clean a room, shut the light off as you leave. When all the lights are out, you are done!

And RAGS. All those new fangled cloths, mops etc are no match to good old fashioned rags. I mop my tiny kitchen floor with a wet rag pushed about with my foot. Works better than any mop. In my former larger home, they used a large squeegie with an old towel to mop the floors...Worked great.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
The cleaning tips I have learned from my cleaners..two I have been using after observing them.

If cleaning the whole house, turn on all the lights. As you clean a room, shut the light off as you leave. When all the lights are out, you are done!

And RAGS. All those new fangled cloths, mops etc are no match to good old fashioned rags. I mop my tiny kitchen floor with a wet rag pushed about with my foot. Works better than any mop. In my former larger home, they used a large squeegie with an old towel to mop the floors...Worked great.

Our cleaning lady does the same thing. I think it’s a spray bottle with alcohol/water and what appears to be a retired cloth diaper.

Effective and quick. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
And Steve, the other tip I learned was from pro window cleaners..get the pro stuff, spritz, wipe down, then let set, then squeegee off...

I no longer do the old fashioned Windex and paper towel..meh...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post