well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trying to avoid taking this stuff to the dump

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to avoid taking this stuff to the dump
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
When my father-in-law died a few years back, he left behind several cases of Depends, often with just one pack having been removed and used.

Well, these opened cases have been sitting in my basement, and I would like to find a way to get rid of them without putting them in the trash. I also have a large collection of feminine hygiene products from my pre-menopause days and cast-offs from my daughters.

Don't laugh -- this stuff is expensive. I would imagine someone who doesn't earn much money but is taking care of an elderly man would love to get the Depends, and anyone with teen daughters would love the feminine hygiene products.

Can anyone think of an idea of what sort of organization would accept this stuff? We have tried assisted living facilities, Salvation Army, and a few shelters. We either get no answer, or they say they cannot take anything if the case has been opened, even if the packaging is intact.

I guess I could try a jail or prison, as I know that women in prisons have a terrible time getting feminine hygiene products. Not sure what to do about the male Depends, though.

I'm running out of ideas. Is there anything I'm not considering? This seems like such a waste.

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I gave an opened package to a local household goods charity..They fit out families with furniture and such but also diapers, and health care needs.

Perhaps a local senior center?

I would add perhaps a post on your local "Nextdoor" page. Many folks are at home taking care of family that might be able to use it.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
For the feminine hygiene products, a local women's shelter desperately wants them.

For the Depends, I would put an ad in the FREE section of craigslist. I had a dozen people who wanted a Costco case of baby wipes.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30033 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Great ideas. I'll follow up!!

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I have seen packages of depends for sale at the local thrift stores if you can't find anywhere else. I'm also thinking a local high school might want the feminine products -- I know ours keeps a stash in the nurses office for emergencies and I'm guessing the nurse probably buys them out of her own pocket because I can't imagine the school board putting that in the budget.

Posts: 4392 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My SIL lives in Leisure World, and she took home a bunch of stuff like that and left it in the laundry room of her building.

The stuff disappeared in minutes. No middlemen.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of hundred bottles of Diet Coke to dispose of - tried to donate a food shelter - but they only want to give "healthy" foods to the less well off, because, you know, "we know better what their needs are..."

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Next Door worked. Someone responded that a friend had urinary surgery and is now incontinen, and he is sad and embarrassed about it. Now he has four cases of depends, two packs of guards, and two packs of mattress protectors.

Thanks for the great tip.

Next up, the local high school nurse.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Freecycle Network
You can put things out where people can pick them up with no contact.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25690 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post