well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What were you doing two weeks ago?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What were you doing two weeks ago?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jon, you were definitely ahead of the curve!

Mr. SK and I were talking about why we were so ahead of the curve, and I think it's partly because we follow a lot more news from Asia than most people in the US do, It's also partly because we have friends and (distant)family in Italy, so that makes it more personal for us.

But also, I think just reading news like you were and paying attention to it.

Evidently, even more Americans that I realized don't do this at all. Frowner

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That applies to Latin American populist leaders of the left AND right as well ...

Brazil and Mexico downplay CV.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine said he ran into a person at the store a couple of days ago that had no idea that there was a pandemic.

WTF?

We have been mostly quarantined for that period and beyond. We are home all the time, so, I hope that fact has also given us some advantage here.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend of mine said he ran into a person at the store a couple of days ago that had no idea that there was a pandemic.

Eeker Blink

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Hello all. I don't post much because you are all such good writers, but check in to see how you are all doing. I've been a member since the early days, so you all feel like friends. I am the perfect profile for someone in danger from Covid...69 years old, chronic cancer in treatment and recent surgery. My area in Virginia (near PianoDad) has a high incidence of Covid for the state.

So decided to share my story...

Three weeks ago I was preparing for a mostly surprising major surgery for my Neuroendocrine Cancer. We withdrew from group gatherings and were consumed with pre-op stuff. Yes "that" prep, too.
Two weeks ago was Surgery on 3/11. Halfway through my 8 day stay, the hospital went on lockdown and threw out all visitors. That was hard, as a patient, but explained well. I got to watch the hospital work through its new policies many of which were well-intended, but not well executed. Medical staff didn't know day to day about new procedures and supplies. By the time I left, all elective surgery had been cancelled and anyone close to ready was sent home as they tried to open beds. They were definitely gearing up for an onslaught. I was never tested for Covid, but vitals were checked every 4 hours. They were watching.

I've been completely quarantined since getting home on 3/18. No one has symptoms yet. Mr. Nanna has gone out to the store and pharmacy when needed and our son came for 3 days to help stock up. We do a routine of stripping clothing at the door and showering immediately. Wiping off any purchases.

Next dilemma is whether to keep my post-op appointment on Monday. 1 hour drive each way, no close parking, 6 story building with ancient tiny elevator. Plan to call tomorrow to see what procedures they have in place for isolation. What would you do?

Take care all! Stay safe!

Posts: 78 | Location: The Colonial Capital | Registered: 11 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hi Nanna! Hi
quote:
post-op appointment on Monday

Can you see if they could do it by phone or Zoom?

Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Yes. I planned to ask since since lots of medical practices seem to be using Zoom, but Medicare won't reimburse that kind of appointment yet. :-(

Posts: 78 | Location: The Colonial Capital | Registered: 11 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Medicare won't reimburse that kind of appointment yet

Only in America.
Bang Head

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I Googled virtual doctor visits, and found that the health system in town here does them for $55. You get a random doc, and they may not be entirely comfortable addressing things that your PCP knows better than they do, but it did work.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Quirt!

I would find the money for online visit, but not sure it would help to have it with a different doctor than the surgeon. My sense is that she will want to poke around and visually see the incision areas. I really hope there are procedures in place to get me from the car to her office in isolation somehow. This is all so new and unchartered.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think Medicare now covers telemedicine visits.

quote:
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency, doctors and other health care providers can use telehealth services to treat COVID-19 (and for other medically reasonable purposes) from offices, hospitals, and places of residence (like homes, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities) as of March 6, 2020. Coinsurance and deductibles apply.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/telehealth

edit: I definitely understand that the surgeon might want an in-person exam in a normal world, but as you well know, we're in a different world right now.

You might reach out to the doctor and ask if he/she could do a telehealth appointment and see what they need to see without a physical exam. Could be if you aren't experiencing problems and they can just see the incision, they may feel comfortable that things are going OK.

That said, my husband is in the middle of cancer treatment at a major university here in Chicago. His doctor said that hubby is at kind of a critical juncture and that if all possible should come in for his three weekly treatments if he felt comfortable with getting there safely (no public transportation).

We're balancing the short term risk with the long term outcome, so we decided to go.

We have an hour plus drive, too. But I'll tell you, the parking garage at the major university hospital is about half full, and there is almost no one in the doctors' office building. We had hubby wear a mask and I stayed in the car. He took all the usual precautions as far as pushing elevator buttons (he did it with his cane tip) and using hand sanitizer repeatedly.

Is there someone you could go with who might drop you off near a door and then circle when you're done so the distant parking lot isn't an issue?

Best wishes....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I saw this in conjunction with Covid-19. Unfortunately, I don't think my doctor is participating yet. Good to know that Medicare is catching up. I think my choice will be go or cancel/postpone the appointment.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
yea, I figured you'd fall into "other medically reasonable".

Also, I just added some stuff to my post.

Can you send a photo of the incision? When hubby had hip replacement last summer, his surgeon was totally OK with looking at pics when we had a question about what was going on with the incision.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I would try to do get away with just a call. They'd probably prefer you not be there too, so my guess is they're inclined to make that work if it is indeed workable.

If I absolutely had to go in, I'd wear gloves and mask, even if it were something homemade. (if there were more time I'd mail you one).

And I'd take the stairs. Even if I had to stop and rest on the way up.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestions. 6 flights of stairs would be a challenge! I don't really want to go, so I can see the case to convince them of other ways to follow-up. They have already sent out a notice to call and not come if you have any symptoms, so I agree that they don't want me there anymore than I want to go. How necessary is this appointment anyway! Will talk with them tomorrow and see. Another example of something that was so routine, now isn't.