well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pay w/ PayPal or Regular CC?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pay w/ PayPal or Regular CC?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
As I get ready to choose which piano bench to order, I notice that at least one of the companies I'm considering accepts PayPal. I rarely use PP for anything expensive, although that's not by design.

I know that paying with a credit card is supposed to have some protections if you run into trouble, but what about PP?

If I have the choice between PP and CC when ordering the piano bench, is there some reason to use the CC, like for example some protections that PP might not offer? Or is it mostly the same these days?

I feel like this is something I should already know, but somehow don't...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
CC. Don’t complicate things. I don’t use PP for anything, ever.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I use PP all the time, but mainly for smaller things. I pay for my (online) piano lessons with PP (teacher’s preference) . . . I buy digital sheet music with PP. . .

I don’t buy things online a lot (besides Amazon) so if there’s a website I’m not familiar with, and PP is an option, then I generally use it.

But these are for purchases under $50 usually.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I use PayPal to buy things because I like that it comes right out of my chequeing account rather than putting it on the Credit Card. Sometimes it’s also laziness because my PayPal info is an easy login and I can’t always remember my three digit code on the back of my CC. However, it is annoying when tracking expenses to have this second step so I am phasing it out for everything that isn’t necessary.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Better government regulations regulating the credit card companies than PayPal. So in that sense you will be better protected from the credit card companies than from PayPal. But if you lack confidence in the merchant that you worry your credit card information is not safe with them, then you can use PayPal to avoid exposing your credit card information from the merchant. It comes down to whom you trust more and whom you want to be protected from. Good luck.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Re this:
quote:
if you lack confidence in the merchant that you worry your credit card information is not safe with them

This has been my reason for using PP in general. But as I think about it, if I'm not confident of the merchant, I probably shouldn't make a $350+ purchase from them! :/

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’d use the credit card, especially if you get any kind of points or rewards for it.

The one time I had an issue with a PP vendor, I got a full refund. But there were hoops to jump through, first. And it was only $35.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve stopped using PP, mostly because they figured out how to bill my bank account directly rather than charging my CC like I signed up for. I have no idea how they did this and I don’t like it.

For your purchase I’d use your CC to take advantage of the protections offered by the CC company. Some CCs offer an extended warranty, does yours?

That said, I’ve recently started using Zelle instead of PP or Venmo. The accounting is cleaner and, being as transactions are run directly through my bank, I can March in to my local branch office to have them reverse the charge. No fees, either.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’m Venmo. Never liked PayPal.

But I use credit cards with merchants, always.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall PayPal levies a surcharge to pay through a credit card while payment through a bank does not. I figure that's because so many CC's give cashback.

Cindy, Clicking on PP just now, I saw several ads for VENMO. (Flash on, then to Crypto).

The only banks it's taken funds from me (OR TO) are ones I've entered info for.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Definitely CC for the protections they offer.

Venmo is owned by Paypal.

I do prefer Zelle for shuttling money back and forth, but fewer people use it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post