well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    More vaccine drama
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More vaccine drama
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow. Looks like a bunch of vaccine makers are getting together a joint statement to tell Trump to go to hell promising not to seek approval until they’ve met safety standards.

Looks like they actually want to sell some of these things.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33806 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Whoa. Safety in numbers.

I didn’t see that coming but it should have been obvious. They’re scared shitless that if a vaccine turns out to have problems they’ll be buried in lawsuits.

Wonder if President Temper Tantrum will suddenly decide to take advantage of the Defense Production Act or issue another useless executive order to demand they produce vaccines.

The world seems to be turning on Donny all of a sudden, doesn't it?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38013 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the statement:

https://www.jnj.com/biopharma-...o-stand-with-science

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38013 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
If Big Pharma says they will produce a safe and effective product, putting the health and best interests of the consumer ahead of the bottom line, you can take that to the bank.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Call my cynical, but I primarily read that statement as an indicator that Big Pharma wasn't going to put all its marbles in the Trump basket. Or eggs. Whatever....

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
So, will Trump force a pre-election approval before the safety data are in?

And what if he does? We've already seen polling data about wariness towards the vaccine. How would this effect it?

In previous surveys, people on the left were more open to the vaccine than people on the right. Surely Trump overruling scientists who then resign would cause a rethink on the left. Would people on the right who are more skeptical become less so?

If you zoom out far enough, true vaccine efficacy - creating herd immunity - is really the product of two numbers: the technical efficacy of the vaccine and people's confidence in it - i.e. the percentage of people who are willing to take it.

How much damage is he willing to do to that confidence number for a pre-election 'victory'? Will he even take the time to understand the tradeoff?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33806 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We've seen more than our usual fair share of medical professionals in recent weeks because of mr wtg's hip replacement surgery.

Just for grins, I've asked a number of them what they think about the vaccine situation. Almost all of them said that they feel like vaccine development is being rushed and they are concerned.

At least a third said they don't plan to be first in line for the initial vaccine. They just plan to wear a mask and hand wash like crazy.

I was pretty surprised.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
We've seen more than our usual fair share of medical professionals in recent weeks because of mr wtg's hip replacement surgery.

Just for grins, I've asked a number of them what they think about the vaccine situation. Almost all of them said that they feel like vaccine development is being rushed and they are concerned.

At least a third said they don't plan to be first in line for the initial vaccine. They just plan to wear a mask and hand wash like crazy.

I was pretty surprised.

I'm not. Not even a little.

I imagine the percentages would change if Dr. Fauci got up and said he supported the vaccine. But he won't.

Posts: 45777 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post