well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What kind of burial do you want?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of burial do you want?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
My grandparents bought three burial plots. I asked them why they wanted three burial plots for two people. They said you never know. Their youngest daughter might need one.

They were cremated and their remains were put in vaults in a military cemetery. It's close to Lakeland (not Tampa). I've seen pictures. My grandfather fought in three wars. My grandmother raised three children. They deserve the recognition.

I'd like my dead body to be put in the wilderness, covered with a sheet, and left there for animals to consume.

Posts: 24736 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
But, yes, realistically speaking, I'll be cremated.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We plan on donating our bodies... which ends in cremation.

Dad did that years ago and I thought it was a good idea.

I'd prefer the ashes be spread in among pine trees somewhere.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I guess I don’t care what happens to my remains once I die except to encourage harvesting whatever parts someone else might need. Maybe cremation and dump me in the lake.

OTOH if my family decides to do something else I’d be fine with it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Would be nice to have my ashes scattered near the top of my favorite chairlift.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Would be nice for my ashes to be spread at the top of my favorite chairlift. An alternate plan is to take off from this planet and turn back into stardust and settle into the rings of Saturn.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My great-aunt donated her body to science. She came up with idea on her own. I don't know anyone else who's done it. May she rest in peace.

I'd be fine with anything but embalming. I personally (for myself) find it disgusting. I respect it as a cultural practice and have no issue with anyone doing it.

Jewish burials [wash and wrap the body in a shroud (only) and bury it in a pine box] would be excellent but I'm not Jewish.

I've observed an increasing number of the Jewish members of my family are being cremated. The synagogue they've belonged to since the '20's could well have no more space for burials.

The last time I was there was when I was 18 to bury (literally, the men took turns with a shovel) my beloved grandmother. May she rest in peace.

My favorite family cemetery is at a Methodist church in Charlotte.

Members of my maternal family have been buried there since the 1700's.

The church itself looks like every Protestant church with its main entrance in the front and a steeple on top. It might seem morbid but the church and burial ground are very beautiful.

I attended my great-grandmother's funeral there. May she rest in peace.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I won't be here, so I'm fine with whatever gives my survivors comfort.

There is a natural cemetery in north Florida, where the bodies are wrapped in sheets and buried. I think a tree is planted on the plot. I love this in concept. In reality, the burial plots have to be larger than in a traditional cemetery to reduce the environmental effects, primarily on groundwater, of multiple decomposing bodies. This seems unsustainable, unless the plan also includes redrawing the plot lines after there has been sufficient time for decomposition, so that more people can be buried between the older bodies. Over time, you could achieve the same density as a traditional burial ground and perhaps more. Otherwise, it seems an option for the privileged few.

Cremation would be my second choice, although it has sustainability issues because of the fuel consumption. My survivors can scatter my ashes where they like, choosing a place where they might enjoy taking a hike or enjoying a flowing stream from time to time.

I'm an organ donor, according to my driver's license, so anything that's still useful will go to someone whose life will be made better. I'm less enthusiastic about donating my body to science, although I respect those of you planning to do it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15517 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
1) Launched into space to drift beyond the solar system.

2) Launched into the sun.

3) Viking funeral. Complete with expert marksmen archers for the flaming arrows.

Or cremated, whichever is more convenient. Big Grin

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
And, of course, they could use a

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Ashes in the woods around camp, where my kids will continue to spend time.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:

3) Viking funeral. Complete with expert marksmen archers for the flaming arrows.

This.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I assume I’ll be cremated. Doesn’t matter to me.

I know a friend of a friend was composted! I’m not ready for that kind of dedication…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The fuel consumption involved in cremation bothers me but I can't do anything about it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
1) Launched into space to drift beyond the solar system.

2) Launched into the sun.

Or cremated, whichever is more convenient. Big Grin

Big Grin