well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Standardized Tests Back in Vogue for “Elite” Schools

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standardized Tests Back in Vogue for “Elite” Schools
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
MIT, Dartmouth, and now Yale want standardized tests scores to evaluate applicants:

https://admissions.yale.edu/test-flexible

quote:
… Yale’s research from before and after the pandemic has consistently demonstrated that, among all application components, test scores are the single greatest predictor of a student’s future Yale grades. This is true even after controlling for family income and other demographic variables, and it is true for subject-based exams such as AP and IB, in addition to the ACT and SAT.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I aced them but doubt I would have if I hadn't been in a small minority of kids receiving an intensive education at an inner city public school with 380 students in my graduating class.

There was a large emphasis on them in NYS, too, starting in 1st grade.

I think life and fate are a lot more random than most people might think.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 24736 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Not opposed to tests as a factor in admission decissionsbut I also feel strongly that race should also be allowed as a factor to support a diverse class.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up!
Standardized tests at other levels probably do more harm than.

I do favor affirmative action.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
CORRECTION !!
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Thumbs up!
Standardized tests at other levels probably do more good than harm.

I do favor affirmative action.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post