well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Brutalist in the bedroom
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brutalist in the bedroom
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Pressboard rots in HI. It's hopeless. Treated lumber will rot with surprising speed. The jungle isn't a very forgiving environment.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is a link to a dresser like ours on First Dibs, listed at $2,600. I'll be amazed if it sells for anything close to that - its in about the same terrible shape as mine is with chunks of particle board missing in about the same spots.

It's roomy if nothing else.

I wonder what the reasoning behind the little ledge on the dresser is - what could even fit there? A big CRT TV? a place to sit and put on your socks? A spot for your dog bed? Hmmmmm......

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Here is a link to a dresser like ours on First Dibs, listed at $2,600. I'll be amazed if it sells for anything close to that - its in about the same terrible shape as mine is with chunks of particle board missing in about the same spots.

It's roomy if nothing else.

I wonder what the reasoning behind the little ledge on the dresser is - what could even fit there? A big CRT TV? a place to sit and put on your socks? A spot for your dog bed? Hmmmmm......

There is a vertical mirror that mounts behind the low part.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Pressboard rots in HI. It's hopeless. Treated lumber will rot with surprising speed. The jungle isn't a very forgiving environment.

Neither is the desert, but for the opposite reason.

Posts: 12546 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
1stDibs is a good place to look at jewelry (jewels). I've seen some authentic Renaissance pieces. And, more common: Art Deco, Retro, Modern, and '70's. You can separate by maker. I've spent some time looking at Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, and Oscar Heyman. Their prices are usually the original retail price and then some.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When we cleaned out the hoarder house we found a bunch of lamps made by Marbro. Apparently they were a big deal in the 50’s. First dibs made the collection sound like it was worth a fortune, but the real market value was only about 20% of what the lamps were listed for on the site.

It is a fun site to look at to find unusual and beautiful items to source elsewhere.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post