well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I’m going to be in a tiny part of this book.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m going to be in a tiny part of this book.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Wild Clay

It’s a book by ceramic artists about using found clay in their work - both in the body of the piece and in the glazes. There is a section on other artists who use found clay in their artwork, and I was asked by Matt (who found me on instagram) if I would be interested in participating with my pigment sticks (pastels). I got lucky - the artist he had originally contacted backed out, so he asked me. We get a small paragraph about what we do, and one photo, plus links to our websites and social media. And possibly another photo or two spread throughout the book. (We also get a free book). I’m pretty excited about it!

Here are a couple of links to my blog posts, the photo at the top of this one are pigment sticks made just from the soils I’ve foraged near my home, no added binders or colorants. Turns out I don’t need extra binders for the sticks i make, the clay I find around here does a great job of holding them together:

https://todayatmydesk.weebly.c...sticks-about-binders

And another about the process:

https://todayatmydesk.weebly.c...ged-pigment-part-one

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Interesting
There is a small spot on a farm I have in Missouri that has clay that may be pottery quality. I took some to a pottery class I failed (dropped out due to the dust).
The instructor said he would not put it in the kiln because it might have air pockets that would cause to explode and wreck other pots.
Don't recall what happened to the found clay. I could collect more and send it to you if you like.
Have no plans to go there at present. Waiting to see what the Covid news is in two weeks.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That would be really cool, Chas. Don’t need much, a handful would be great.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Great
Hope I can get that done.
Will probably be a while.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
How cool is that?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! I so enjoy following your found clay and pigment adventures on instagram!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Jodi, that is so awesome!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post