well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The price of housing is going up
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The price of housing is going up
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
This could work to our advantage.

A friend of our neighbors is interested in buying a single story house for his mother and his two kids to live in. The idea is the kids will take care of mom and they will sell mom's 3 story condo.

He doesn't want to get involved in multiple bid or anything like that and would be be interested in selling our house and renting back while we find the replacement? No realtors, as is, all cash deal?

Yes we would!

He came over yesterday and seemed to like what he saw. Very pleasant guy, and it turns out we have a lot of friends in common from back in our youth sports days. Our kids know each other, and Greg used to work for his next door neighbor.

His wife and kids still need to see it, but it sounds like this could work! ThumbsUp

I've been curious about how much of this still is going on. Back when we were looking to move to a nicer house in Missoula, some 20 years ago, the really desireable houses never went on the market. They were sold to friends, or by word of mouth. In today's market, with a bidding war on every decent house, you'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if you did a private sale.

For example, the house we tried to buy last winter. Just weeks before it went on the market, a near-identical house sold for $595k. So the sellers asked $599k for theirs. It sold for $752k. If they hadnt put it on the open market, they'd have been reasonable to think the most they could expect to get was what they'd asked.

Just down the street from that house, my realtor listed a place a few weeks ago for $999k. She got 17 offers in a day, all over asking. She said the winning bid was much, much higher than the asking price.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new “For Sale” sign had been posted in the yard for less than 10 minutes when the first visitors started driving by the house, slowing down and stopping to take pictures. Trevor Descisciolo watched from his front lawn, trying to understand how the home he referred to as “a basic little starter” had suddenly become a destination in the far exurbs of Boise.

A few minutes later, another car pulled to the curb, and the driver rolled down his window. “Do you guys have a list price yet?” he asked.

“We’re finalizing it soon,” Descisciolo said. “What kind of place are you looking for?”

The driver stared for a moment and considered the house. It was a two-story craftsman in a subdivision of mass-produced homes, where identical mailboxes aligned the sidewalk and some of the cul-de-sacs backed up to cornfields. “Honestly?” he said. “At this point we’re looking for pretty much anything.”

quote:
McFerrin [the real estate agent] posted the listing online and went back to her office to watch the traffic grow: 34 views in the first 10 minutes, 238 within an hour, more than 1,000 by the end of the afternoon. The Boise area had an average of 25 active buyers for each available house, many of whom were investors who offered to pay above asking price with all cash, which meant hundreds of first-time buyers had spent months trying and failing to find a home. Their standard offers now typically included a personal note written to the seller.

“Here’s a picture my 5-year-old drew of our family in your beautiful backyard,” wrote one first-time buyer, as part of an offer on a two-bedroom home in April.

“I’m an Army veteran and a fifth generation Idahoan,” wrote another first-time buyer. “My salary’s stayed the same for the last five years while housing prices tripled. I’m worried I’ll have to leave this state I love.”

“This is our 23rd offer, but now we’re convinced that God is at work, because seeing your home convinced us that the other 22 were not right for us.”

“Please, no more love letters,” one agent had written in her listing. “All offers will be considered. This is strictly a financial transaction.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...te-normal/ar-AAMir6k

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
...Only if I sell. And then I gotta live somewhere else.

Well, there are worse problems to have.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post