well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Getting Control of the Sugar Habit

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/8303967397

31 January 2020, 03:31 PM
QuirtEvans
Getting Control of the Sugar Habit
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/1...-keywords=auddevgate
31 January 2020, 04:18 PM
CHAS
Sugar is evil. Is that why I love it?
I stay away from it for weeks.
The I binge for a few days before my pants tell me that enough is enough.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

31 January 2020, 09:40 PM
AdagioM
I don’t crave it and don’t eat much of it, until I have some, like on vacation. Since I got home from NOLA I’ve been an absolute trash can, craving sugar and carbs. I blame the beignets.

http://pdxknitterati.com

31 January 2020, 09:56 PM
Steve Miller
Paywalled, and the NYT isn’t even close to be worth paying for.

That said, avoiding sugar has become something of crusade with me. I’ve stopped buying any number of Trader Joe’s products because they add sugar. An email to Trader Joe’s generated a polite reply stating that if it weren’t for the sugar the products would have no flavor at all.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

31 January 2020, 10:44 PM
QuirtEvans
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

That said, avoiding sugar has become something of crusade with me. I’ve stopped buying any number of Trader Joe’s products because they add sugar. An email to Trader Joe’s generated a polite reply stating that if it weren’t for the sugar the products would have no flavor at all.

I've explained at least a dozen times how to get past the paywall. Since you're repeating your feelings about the value of the NYT, please consider the lesson repeated as well.
31 January 2020, 11:48 PM
RealPlayer
I have no problem staying away from sugar, but if you have a bag of chips around, better hide it from me.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

01 February 2020, 12:10 AM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

I've explained at least a dozen times how to get past the paywall. Since you're repeating your feelings about the value of the NYT, please consider the lesson repeated as well.

I’ve tried the various ways and they don’ work. I suspect they track IP addresses.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

01 February 2020, 02:17 AM
LL
Didn't read...
Maple syrup
Honey

The earth laughs in flowers

01 February 2020, 08:20 AM
jodi
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Didn't read...
Maple syrup
Honey

Which are both sugar. Doesn’t matter that they come from bees and trees, and are less processed. The sugars are all broken all down to fructose and glucose, for use in the body, and it’s all considered “added sugar” in your diet. The primary sugar in maple syrup is the disaccharide sucrose (same sugar that is refined from sugar cane or beets) one molecule of disaccharide sucrose is comprised of the one molecule each of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.

5 grams of added sugar in one teaspoon honey vs 4 grams gums of added sugar in 1 teaspoon of white sugar. (Though honey tastes sweeter, so you can add a bit less for the same amount of sweetness, which would makes them about equal in added sugar calories added to a cup of tea)

And you should read the article. It’s quite good.

Smiler Jodi

01 February 2020, 08:55 AM
QuirtEvans
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

I’ve tried the various ways and they don’ work. I suspect they track IP addresses.

They do not.

Use a separate browser. I use Vivaldi for the NYT.

Read a story. CLEAR EVERYTHING. History, cache, cookies, everything.

Read the next story.
01 February 2020, 09:14 AM
jodi
You get a certain number if views for free every month.

Smiler Jodi

01 February 2020, 09:19 AM
wtg
The NYT number of free views has gone down, I think. It might actually be down to one.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

01 February 2020, 09:41 AM
ShiroKuro
I'm not sitting here reading this and eating a chocolate covered salt caramel Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

01 February 2020, 12:10 PM
LL
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Didn't read...
Maple syrup
Honey

Which are both sugar. Doesn’t matter that they come from bees and trees, and are less processed. The sugars are all broken all down to fructose and glucose, for use in the body, and it’s all considered “added sugar” in your diet. The primary sugar in maple syrup is the disaccharide sucrose (same sugar that is refined from sugar cane or beets) one molecule of disaccharide sucrose is comprised of the one molecule each of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.

5 grams of added sugar in one teaspoon honey vs 4 grams gums of added sugar in 1 teaspoon of white sugar. (Though honey tastes sweeter, so you can add a bit less for the same amount of sweetness, which would makes them about equal in added sugar calories added to a cup of tea)

And you should read the article. It’s quite good.

True, I was thinking in compared to white sugar!

The earth laughs in flowers

01 February 2020, 12:30 PM
CHAS
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I'm not sitting here reading this and eating a chocolate covered salt caramel Leaving

Big Grin

I am not eating the chocolate we got at the vendors two nights ago. Sorta not.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.