well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A maternal moment
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A maternal moment
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
I had a wow-you're-grown-up conversation with Muffin's Sister this week that I wanted to share.

She recently got her fourth promotion in three years, going from an entry-level job in an elementary school cafeteria to manager-in-training to manager to coordinator and now to warehouse and inventory manager. (I'm not exactly sure of the new title, but she deals with vendors, manages inventory of food and supplies, works with cafeteria managers to make sure they have what they need, makes sure they have their paperwork in order, and so on.) She's also still the coordinator for about 14 schools.

Every time this happens, she says she was supposed to spend much longer in the current job and there's a similar time limit on the next one, so it'll be a while before she leaves this position. And then they find something new for her to do.

This promotion seems to have been an emergency situation, since the previous person must have simply reached his Peter Principle level. The corners of the warehouse were full of things he'd mis-ordered, failed to enter into the system, and hidden. Management knew it was bad, but she had to get in there and start shoveling (metaphorically, I think) before she realized that he hadn't ordered critical things for the semester, like food. She's stressed and overwhelmed, but her history with the school district has been to take over a situation that's running deeply in the red and have it in the black within months.

I was feeling real proud about all of this, and then she surprised me with something that made me even more proud. She was leaving soon for a conference and offhandedly said that she was going to be teaching the same class she'd taught for the last two years. I said, "What class?"

She said that she teaches other managers how to incorporate commodities food into their menus, so that they can feed more kids for less. She also teaches them about some kind of exchange system where she can somehow use her allotment of, say, commodities pork to buy prepared pork products like Jimmy Dean sausage at the commodities price. (I presume Jimmy Dean has some kind of contract with government for this exchange.) She's developed several menus that can be prepared with all commodities foods for about twenty cents a plate instead of the usual dollar-fifty-plus. I guess this is how one can turn around a cafeteria that's running so deeply in the red and do it quickly.

She says that these aren't the kids' favorite meals, but they're good. Once her books stop hemorrhaging money, she uses what she saves on the low-cost meals for things like special holiday meals. She likes to offer those, since some of the kids don't get special holiday meals at home.

So...yeah. I'm very proud. And remembering how much she struggled with math all the way through school, I asked her if she ever wanted to call up her former teachers and professors to say, " Neener"

She said, "Yeah. All of them. Every day."

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. She is so amazing! I’ve enjoyed seeing many of her life adventures on facebook. ♥️♥️♥️

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, very cool!!! And to have her success happen in the line of feeding school children, even cooler!!!

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yeah, she's something. I've heard the childhood stories, and she's so organized now.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Speaking of math, she also rattled off a complicated chain of events that transpired because her predecessor had ordered seasoned taco meat instead of plain ground beef. This upped the salt content of the meal, which she had to fix by adjusting the quantities of the various side dishes, upping the low-salt ones and reducing the high-salt ones.

This kind of thing was required by the school lunch nutrition guidelines introduced by Michelle Obama. Those guidelines have, of course, been eliminated by the current occupant and his toadies, because who cares if children get healthy food, right? To her district's credit, they have elected to voluntarily continue to meet those guidelines.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Matt has quite accurately called Muffin's Sister a force of nature. Suspect her string of successive promotions has surprised few people that know her.

Have heard of others who suffered through lousy math teachers and finally figured it out on their own. I finally got math, no thanks for any teacher.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That is great. It is wonderful to see the adults they grow up to be.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That's really great.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Love, love, love. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Somehow, Beelady, I can picture the two of you doing some kind of joint venture with veggies and healthy kids. Given your far-apart locations, I can't figure out quite what. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! "Nevertheless, she persisted." Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post