well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Haven't seen this before

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haven't seen this before
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Someone forged a check on my business account. I'm not sure how they did it but my bank cleared it. It looks like one of my checks and my signature but there is no little hologram and the name is typed in all capital letters - something I never do. I've never heard of the guy so there is that.

The name and address come up on the internet and there is a phone number but it's been disconnected.

Off to the bank... Mad

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
A banker once told me that when you send a check, 7-8 people will see your check as it gets processed.

A lecturer on identity theft prevention during a Money Smart Week seminar that I once attended had checks forged using his account no. He said he thinks it was a landlord’s maintenance person who did it. Moral: lock your check books/bank account books up when you have strangers come in your house.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have you written a check recently to someone you haven't previously dealt with? Wondering if they and/or someone they know took your legitimate check and used it to forge another one.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope you get that corrected.
Would be nice if the culprit is caught.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The legitimate check that was modified was deposited in person to another branch of my same bank. You can see where it was altered.

Looks like an inside job. Bank is looking in to it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a pain. I'm hoping the bank gets to the bottom of it. It sounds like there's no question that it was an altered/forged check, so I assume you're not financially on the hook?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The legitimate check that was modified was deposited in person to another branch of my same bank.

Why are people so stupid?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This happened years ago to my sister while she was in college.

Her roommate found her checkbook and took out 3 or 4 checks from the back of the book.

She then went to the student center, where she needed ID to cash them, and, well..cashed them. Blink

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post