well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Janssons temptation

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Janssons temptation
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Years ago we had some friends who lived in Sweden. They would come to the US every few years, buy a car, drive it to NY and then ship it to Sweden Janssons Temptation. . They always made enough on the deal to
pay for the trip and then some.

Louise was a good cook and always made this for us when they were here. It’s a simple recipe but it’s worth a try. The potatoes are salted by the anchovies and the combination is delicious!

Janssons Temptation

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Love Swedish food, and I'll definitely be trying Janssons Temptation.

When I looked at the recipe didn't give an approximate weight for the spuds (some russets are ridiculously huge and others are much smaller). I went looking for other versions of the recipe and found this old NYT article by Craig Claiborne about Swedish cooking.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/0...-art-to-america.html

That article is one of the digitized versions of the original print version so the formatting is funky. Here's a cleaned up version of the recipe. It has more anchovies and he says you use about 2 pounds of potatoes.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/re...-janssons-temptation

An interesting comment from the food.com website:

quote:
Those who think the anchovies are a bit too assertive a flavour in this dish are not wrong. That's because anchovies would NEVER be used in a real Swedish Jansson's Temptation. Swedes would use sprats, which are milder, but in Sweden are known as anchovies - hence the recipe being continually mistranslated into English. Consequently, almost every English recipe for this dish is just wrong. You can buy canned sprats, often called Riga sprats, in some gourmet stores.

Other commenters say they use regular anchovies and they like it that way.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I saw reference to sprats when I was looking for a recipe to post, but Louise just used good old ‘murrican anchovies for us and I thought it was terrific!

It’s not really a gourmet preparation and I doubt it’s worth a trip to the gourmet store. She described it as a way to stretch a tin of anchovies to feed a family of 4.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I don't like sprats a whole lot and think the anchovies would be great. I just thought the discussion about recipe translations was kinda interesting.

But if I did want to do the sprat experiment..

We have an unbelievable selection of ethnic foods around here. We have lots of Russian and Polish people, so weird canned fish is easy to find. Heck, I can even buy herring made in Lithuania in the refrigerated food sections of two grocery stores within 10 minutes of me.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I would eat that. I would eat all of that… because no one else in the house would touch it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
what's a sprat?

I assume a fish? I like anchovies.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're little smoked sardines. The ones I've had are just packed in oil.

https://www.melaniecooks.com/w...ow-to-eat-them/2354/

edit:

I have a Swedish cookbook I picked up at IKEA years ago. I kind of forgot about it....it has a recipe for Janssons temptation and it uses the IKEA (actually a brand called Abba) "anchovies", which it turns out are really sprats.

quote:
They are actually sprats, cured in the Swedish fashion, which means they are a beguiling mix of sweetness and saltiness.

The can that's shown in the photos are the ones I've seen at IKEA.

https://wendall.org/omnivorous-bear/?p=1977

But these are the ones available online:

https://europeandeli.com/produ...stads-anchoy-fillets

Bazootiehead-in-training