well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Johnson’s Paste Wax

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Johnson’s Paste Wax
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I just found out it’s been discontinued. Too bad - one of my earliest memories is the smell in the house when my parents would wax the floors with that stuff.

Seems there’s plenty of old stock around, which probably explains why they discontinued it. Even so, eBay scammers are asking $50 for half a can of the stuff. I have about 2/3 of a can left which should last the rest of my life.

How much do you have left?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've never used Johnson's. When I was doing furniture refinishing some years ago I used Briwax. It seemed to do the job.

I hear the Minwax product is quite good.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A man with a buffer came and waxed the floors with that. I remember liking the smell.
Then came the carpets.
When my father was over 80,my mother had the carpets removed. Wonder what they were waxed with.
My father's breathing improved soon after the carpets were gone.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Products that I like always get discontinued. It’s quite frustrating.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I still have a buffer but I’m not sure why.

I no longer have anything to buff.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How much do you have left?

I have a full can, bought it last fall for the antique sewing machines I've conserving. Didn't know it's discontinued.

I don't know if it's suitable for floors, but I hear Gilboys is great for furniture.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Products that I like always get discontinued. It’s quite frustrating.

+1

Posts: 24731 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post