well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question for Steve

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Steve
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
Is a 15 Watt incandescent bulb in a lamp on a nightstand enough light to read by or would you recommend 25?

Posts: 24731 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Not Steve but I would recommend 40 watts actually, if you’re wanting to read an actual book, and if the lamp has a shade that fully covers the bulb.

But then again, I don’t like dim lighting.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like a lot of light to read by and would go with a 100 watt incandescent, myself, or a 15 watt LED.

Does the lamp have a 3 way socket? A 40-60-100 three way bulb might work well if it does.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As SK said, a lot depends on the shade. Some are fairly opaque and direct light downwards. Others, especially lighter color shades, disperse the light outward. You might have to experiment and see what works for you. I like dim light in general, but these aging eyes need a lot more light to see at night; I don't think the 15W or the 25W would be enough for me. 40W would be the minimum, more likely 60W.

A dedicated book light is kind of nice, too. I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Vekkia-...ls%2C107&sr=1-4&th=1

It has three light levels and lasts a pretty long time between charges.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post