Find
Notify
Tools

CHOP
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A distinctly terrible idea right out of the gate. I'm not surprised it didn't work out.

Am I the only one who has never heard of this?

Lots of articles but here is the Wiki:

CHOP

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I heard about it when it was happening. I figured it would be self-limiting, which it ended up being.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, "it's complicated." My daughter has a friend who lives in CHOP. His view was that during the day it was a bit of a street party vibe. Unfortunately, it also attracted its share of people who wanted to use it as a means of making a point. So you had far left people calling for the total abolition of the SPD (not defunding, like extinction), and you had far right people and of course POTUS agitating people (particularly protesters after dark) and responding violently. The NW is a part of the country where extreme left and extreme right both exist, and this isn't surprising. What's frustrating to me is that, as all of this was going on both in Seattle and Portland, it was playing directly into 45's "lawless" rhetoric. I believe that he sent the feds to Portland in large part to further that rhetoric. The footage in his "I'm the law and order guy" ads was primarily taken in Portland.

Without agitation (left and right), these things will die down, like CHOP did.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post