well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bauerbrot

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bauerbrot
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I found a little loaf of Bauerbrot in the grocery store - “Farmers bread” I decided to try it and I’m hooked! They get it from a bakery about 20 miles from here.

The loaf was very small and kind of $$$ but the density makes up for that. One little slice is plenty for breakfast, and in a pinch you could use a slice to patch the roof! A sourdough rye, more or less, not as dark as Pumpernickel.

I know there are lots of regional/traditional breads out there and I’m sure I’ve ever heard of most of them. What’s your favorite?

[edit] Sam likes it:

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
“Patch the roof”

hysteric

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There is something here that shows up every christmas that I’ve been wanting to try (old mining community with people settling from all over to work here) I bought a cookbook this year but haven’t made it yet. More of a bread dessert. And the inside of this church is supposed to be spectacular.

Politics: (effing autocorrect- POVITICA)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Steve, that looks very similar to some breads commonly sold in health food stores: whole-grain, dense, brick-like, thinly-sliced. They are surprisingly moist as well. The slices do look like shingles. They’re good, but I usually like a bread with a more open texture (though also whole grain.)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Clearly you haven't been hanging around with enough Germans and Lithuanians!

Sourdough rye breads are what I grew up on. The ones that we could get were usually finely textured but dense. Medium dark crust. Amber Rye's "Jums" (translates to "For You") is one that I can get locally; it's imported from Lithuania:

Another imported bread I buy. Coarse and dense sourdough rye with sunflower seeds. "Tikra" translates to "The Real Thing".

There are quite a few Lithuanians in Cleveland, ya know. There are probably ethnic grocery stores that carry a lot of Eastern European products.

http://global.truelithuania.com/cleveland-ohio-36/

https://www.cleveland.com/mycl..._ingrida_bublys.html

I also looked up Lithuanian restaurants and found this:

https://www.facebook.com/LithuanianClubCLE/

Let me know if you need a guide to the menu items....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
There is something here that shows up every christmas that I’ve been wanting to try (old mining community with people settling from all over to work here) I bought a cookbook this year but haven’t made it yet. More of a bread dessert. And the inside of this church is supposed to be spectacular.

Politics: (effing autocorrect- POVITICA)

Jodi, that’s going to make a LOT of bread! You could probably cut the recipe in half…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Whoa. AM is right; that's a big batch.

I'm a bread junkie. I could snarf down large quantities of any of these:

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post