well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Would it annoy you if
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would it annoy you if
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Your neighbor had two unlicensed vehicles sitting on the street across from you? One of them showed up a few weeks ago when the adult daughter moved back in, and it came in on a tow truck with a flat tire, and I don’t think it runs because she was poking around under the hood the day after. The other has been there for awhile, and I know it runs, but it just “lost” its license plate (which I assume has been put on the other truck that they are currently driving - that one sat in the same spot unlicensed for a couple of weeks this summer, then disappeared somewhere for a few months. The fact that they don’t ever move makes it more difficult to get in and out of our driveway with our big truck, and once the snow starts staying (our streets are not plowed) getting in and out of the driveway gets even trickier. I don’t want to be a “Karen” but I’m not happy. (And I’m not going to go over and talk to them - it’s been an unstable scene on and off, the guy who owns the trucks is a new living boyfriend of the older woman -probably our age- who seems to own the townhome, and the adult daughter and mom have gotten into some interesting screaming matches)

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yes. It would annoy me.

Does your city have any relevant ordinances about unlicensed or non-operational vehicles parked on the street?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes.
And it's unsafe to leave vehicles in the road.

I was in an accident. The car was totaled because of this.

Posts: 24712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Yes. It would annoy me.

Does your city have any relevant ordinances about unlicensed or non-operational vehicles parked on the street?

Yes. They are not supposed to be parked on the street. I keep telling myself I’ll give them another week. But maybe I just need to call.

Smiler Jodi

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It would annoy me, too.

If it’s not possible to go over with a plate of cookies and ask if they could park a little further down, so not directly across your driveway, then I’d check into the city ordinances. A few tickets for unlicensed/expired tags might make them park it in the garage.

PDX says you can’t leave a car in the same spot for more than 24 hours, but it’s not enforced. Mr. AM can go for days/weeks without driving anywhere, but his car is not bothering anyone else.

PS: I’d try the cookies first, only because they may assume you complained, when the ticketing starts.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Been there. Not happy and eventually reported.

Not allowed without a liscence I found out.

Hope you can get rid of them. So frustrating.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the issue goes beyond annoying since it impacts you when there's snow etc.

I would say talk to them, a la AdagioM's suggestion, if they're not receptive, try to decide how much you want to escalate or not.

Wait, speaking of escalating... are they Trump supporters? If yes or if you don't know, either go today (i.e. before the election) or plan to wait a good week or so??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It would annoy me and I would let the police handle it from the onset. If you talk to the neightbors and they don't do anything to remedy the situation and you end up calling the cops anyway, they'll know you were the one who called. The police are used to handling stuff like this and will likely give them a warning and tell them to move the cars or get them licensed.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Nope, not talking to them. Do not want them to know it’s me that is unhappy. They have very little space on the street that borders the property in front of their townhome. They are already encroaching on a neighbors place with one of the cars (but those people go to California for the winter) No place for them to move these cars without other neighbors getting unhappy and calling. People are pretty careful to only park in front of their own yard on this street (most people park in their driveway or garage) it’s a pretty quiet little neighborhood). I don’t think they will know it’s me that called. Pretty sure the neighbor next to them (who is gone for the winter) called about the other truck (which was parked, no license plate) right in front of their house this summer.

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok in that case call the police today. Ask them if they keep complaints like this anonymous from the people being complained about. Our city has a noise ordinance and IIRC it starts at 10pm. If you call with a noise complaint, the police do not tell the noise-makers who complained.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Call the county or state highway patrol and ask who is best to call for this problem. A ticket for no license will burn more than city cops telling them to move.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What might be the most fun would be to call the local junkyard and inform them that there are two abandoned cars with no current registration, parked at such and such an address. Junkyards, at least here are empowered to tow abandoned cars away and start charging them storage. They city pays them for this.

Should solve the problem.

OTOH, if it’s as townhome there is an HOA. Drop a dime to the HOA and the problem should go away. HOA’s are generally a lot more ruthless than PDs as they do not have to answer to the Mayor.

What you don’t want to do is ignore it. Abandoned cars are like feral cats. You have 2 now but in a short period of time you’ll have more if they are not dealt with. PU

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
If there are enough neighbors that the miscreants can’t tell it’s you that reported them, then REPORT!

Good luck.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
It's very difficult to keep the caller a secret in our county. It's public record. Tell them you wish to report anonymously and do not give your name or address.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I finally called this morning (was feeling guilty because of covid, but finally got annoyed enough). All the offices are closed, so I had to leave a message. Left my first name, an named the street, and just came home from the store and there is a big pink sticker on the car (flat tire, came in on a tow truck) but nothing on the truck. Not sure what that is about - this town is very much a good old boy place, and they take care of each other. Kinda wondering if this car was already on their radar (and got towed from wherever it was before to here). Will see what happens, and may call again about the truck in a few weeks. I frankly don’t care as much about truck (it’s old and junky, but it runs, or at least it did last summer) but it needs to have a license plate on it. I’m almost certain the guy is switching the plates back and forth between his two trucks.

Smiler Jodi