well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    ‘'We want to be educated, not indoctrinated"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘'We want to be educated, not indoctrinated"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Hope this COVID-related article isn't behind the WaPo paywall.

quote:
Be honest that scientists don’t have all the answers. Tout the number of people who got the vaccines in trials. And don’t show pro-vaccine ads with politicians — not even ones with Donald Trump.

That’s what a focus group of vaccine-hesitant Trump voters insisted to politicians and pollsters this weekend, as public health leaders rush to win over the tens of millions of Republicans who say they don’t plan to get a coronavirus shot. If those voters follow through, it would imperil efforts to achieve the high levels of immunity needed to stop the virus’s spread in the United States, experts fear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...blicans-focus-group/

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38211 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should try a something other than Fox or Newsmax for that education?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25849 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Poor babies. Must be spoon-fed the information in just the right way.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13884 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
A few issues here that I can see.

First, if you hate the government and think there's a conspiracy around every tree/bush, then there's no communication/education that you will accept.

Second, for many of these people, education that results in a conclusion I don't agree with = "indoctrination."

Let's face it, for a long of folks they simply don't accept that there might be experts who have information that isn't coming through a partisan filter (that they, themselves, created but....)

I'm all for skepticism but at some point it just becomes stubbornness and sticking your head in the sand. "I'm speaking my truth" makes me want to gag. Well, maybe your truth is a bit, um, skewed....

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

First, if you hate the government and think there's a conspiracy around every tree/bush, then there's no communication/education that you will accept.

There was a terrific story I read this weekend about just this subject. Adult kids gathered information, prepared spreadsheets, rebutted information point by point. Nothing could move their mother off her point of view.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Kluurs has a relative who won't do the vaccine though she's in a high risk population. It's just like the flu vaccine - not 100% effective is part of her explanation.

Posts: 9619 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This stood out for me:

quote:
During the Zoom session, Republican politicians including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Sen. Bill Cassidy (La.) and Rep. Brad Wenstrup (Ohio), chair of the GOP Doctors Caucus, took turns trying to persuade the hesitant voters to get vaccinated. But the lawmakers’ pitches largely fell flat, and in some cases, the politically tinged rhetoric seemed to inspire more doubts. For instance, McCarthy said he understood the Trump voters’ hesitation because pharmaceutical companies waited until after Trump lost the election to announce their promising vaccine results — a comment that sparked participants to share their own resentments.

“It was political stunts like that that leave doubt in our minds,” said a man identified as David from Texas.

But the focus group applauded Frieden — an appointee of President Barack Obama, a detail that went unmentioned — particularly after he rattled off “five facts” about the virus and the vaccines, such as the overwhelming share of doctors who have chosen to get vaccinated. Participants praised the former CDC chief for his apolitical bent and repeatedly cited arguments they said had changed their minds, like the tens of thousands of people who participated in coronavirus vaccine trials last year.

“The single fact that swayed me the most was Dr. Frieden’s comment … the long-term impacts of covid could be, [or] are worse than the impacts of the vaccine,” said a man identified as Peter from Missouri. Peter added that he went from “80 percent” opposed to the shot to “probably 75 percent” in favor after the session.

“His first points were, it’s been 20 years of research [to develop the vaccine]. It’s not just out of the blue,” said a man called Chad from Minnesota, who also praised Frieden for acknowledging that the long-term risks of the vaccines aren’t yet known. “He’s just honest with us and telling us, nothing is 100 percent here, people.”

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38211 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t much care if you’re educated or indoctrinated.

I want you vaccinated.

How can I help?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of this is fueled by the 24/7 news media phenomenon? They have to say SOMETHING all the time to fill the space...

So instead of "there is a worldwide effort to develop vaccines based on previous work with coronaviruses"

We get:
"We aren't sure if there is a possibility to develop a vaccine - remember AIDS? Let's review all other pandemics..
There are trials beginning. Who signs up for these? Here are the past failures for vaccines. What other drugs have failed in the past?
How could drug makers create a vaccine so fast? Most of the time the minimum is 5 years. Are they rushing past safety protocols?" blah, blah...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7600 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There is a mighty force pushing back at you: carefully engineered disinformation.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/...094?icid=msd_topgrid

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30040 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post