well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Elaine plays the piano

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaine plays the piano
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Grandmother with dementia inspires with piano playing

A 95-year-old grandmother with dementia from Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts is inspiring manythrough her piano playing and bringing hope to families with loved ones battling the disease.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/vid...ano-playing-98087182

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37895 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I LOVE that!!!

It also reminds me of something I read about in an Oliver Sacks book (IIRC)... I don't remember all the details, but I think there was a gentleman who had some kind of brain injury that resulted in his short term memory being largely destroyed. But he could still play the piano, Sacks theorized that it was due to the fact that each part of the music, each note, links to the next note. So even if the gentleman couldn't remember something 30 seconds ago, the notes in this moment guided him on to the next set of notes...

I wonder if there's something similar for Elaine...

Or if it's music memory + muscle memory...

We can't know, but it's fascinating to think about.

Also, it's hard not to imagine that her playing surely had delayed some of the progression of the disease. Another thing we can't know...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18468 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post