well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    October DOM contest

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October DOM contest
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
Tell us about a radical change in career direction you've made, why you made it, and how it worked out for you. I'll pick the winner based on how inspirational/instructive/interesting I find the story.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7429 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
OMG this is my life right now...

In 2011 I took a contract job for 3 weeks as a stay at home Mom...They kept me on as a contractor...as I came to the 2 year limit, they offered me a job..I turned it down...I made more contacting for less hours...Not to mention the mind numbing work.

They came back with better job, I applied and was rejected as unqualified...The candidate who was offered the job rejected it as the salary was so low...They then offered it to me...I took it...benefits, close to home but more importantly close the HS, where my son who needed support, attended.

I moved up the ranks, always headhunted internally...

Fast forward 8 years,one divorce, a move from country to city, three company acquisitions..the last was Private Equity in February...ugh...layoffs, stress..

I will be 60 in December..and I had to decide what my last working years would be...

I thought I would just wait for the layoff..but feared age discrimination in the open job market.

Meanwhile...not sleeping well, gaining stress weight, hate going to work, ducking out early...feared for my health.

I support a few local charities but I put all the money I can in just 3...One sent an email newsletter much like the one I did as a volunteer..with "We Are Hiring!" link..Hmm, I wondered for my kids..

But then I read the job description..OMG..I have done this for 12 years as a volunteer for Montana de Luz...OMG...And the Co-Founder is my back yard neighbor...

I decided to inquire...I talked to the Exec Director at a fund raiser just to see if I could be considered..the response was YES!

But still I wanted no special treatment so went thru the usual process..I was nervous!...The Development Director (not my neighbor) and I hit if off.

So a month ago I quit my corporate job with nearly 5 weeks vacation, days off to volunteer, wonderful coworkers but an uncertain future...

For a pay cut, 2 weeks vaca, but a 10 minute commute, work in the community where I live...I can walk to work if needed..

I have never been happier..I can offer much help with what they struggle..I feel like the "Mom" to bring it all together..

At a recent meeting I spoke up about something and was told "THIS is why we hired you!"

I am home..in more ways than one...
Mill City Grows

And PS..I have been sleeping through the night and have lost 6lbs! Woot

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Can't beat that! So happy for you BL!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
But, beelady, what kind of work did you do before, and now what kind of work after?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
But, beelady, what kind of work did you do before, and now what kind of work after?

Ahaha...Former job for $2B business data company. I managed relationships between the company and our outsourcing vendors (call centers). Our people were never happy..too expensive, not good enough, too slow, too fast...Spent most of my time cutting the budget then getting reamed for the lack of service..sigh..Calls as early as 6 am as late as 11pm (many times zones) and many, many conference calls of all types where we covered the stuff time and time again.

New job..I am the Development Associate at a local org I already supported working with an amazing director who is a whiz bang grant writer. She needs to focus on that and I get to have fun working the individual donors, many I already know personally. I am planning some campaigns, some growth and improvements in process (my favorite thing).

And I get to flex my day. I work on marketing materials so I get to go out in the community and interview customers of our farmers market (and help stock the shelves, translate a bit..all I did just yesterday.)

I have been pulling apart the storage area, repacking materials and labeling them as we have some large events and there is lots of back and forth with "what ever happened to the xyz we used last year?" sorts of conversations.

Spent today at a local org sharing group, all the big ones were there..we share ideas, collaborate, help each other out.

And when I leave at the end of the day..the emails STOP. No overnight bots or late night workers sending "emergency" emails.

I know I have made the best career move of my life. I will be 60 in December....(look out for a birthday fund raiser, just sayin'! Wink)

Mill City Grows

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
that is awesome. you are a woman of many talents.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
As an aside, my team head shot photo was taken by a kind stranger while visiting a farm with sunflowers as an attraction. I stopped there just to do that on my way to a party at Justme's new home. Smiler

MillCityGrows.org

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard anything from Justme for a long time. Is her new home in your area? Please say hello to her for me.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7429 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I haven't heard anything from Justme for a long time. Is her new home in your area? Please say hello to her for me.

Big Al

Yes, she is very close now, new husband, too!
She was asking after you. Perhaps check your PMs. I had suggested she try that. Smiler

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
As an aside, my team head shot photo was taken by a kind stranger while visiting a farm with sunflowers as an attraction. I stopped there just to do that on my way to a party at Justme's new home. Smiler

I saw that photo on the website, and it is absolutely charming!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38016 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Well, it is easy to declare BeeLady the October Decorator of the Month.

Her story was just the sort of thing I hoped to read and meets all the criteria I set for the contest. Perhaps her entry suited the topic so well that it frightened away other possible entrants. If so, I'd still like to hear other stories on the topic, even though the contest is over.

BeeLady, please forward your decorating instructions to MattG and devise a November contest. Having seen what you accomplish in domestic decoration, I'm sure your choices will be superlative.

Big Al

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Aw, thanks so much!

I have to say, I am happy to have a chance to celebrate my new job..It makes me so happy!

I will noodle on a DOM for November...working on a few ideas.

Photo sent to Matt..stay tuned!

MillCityGrows.org