well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The magic of the internet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The magic of the internet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I'm often amazed at the stuff that I find.

I was doing one of my occasional random walks through the web and stumbled across a photo of my dad's uncle. Holy cow! Talk about family resemblance...

Dad's uncle:

Dad:

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! How cool!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was told never to post anything I wouldn’t want to see on the front page of the NYT because the internet is forever.

The upside of this is that you were able to find this great photo!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That is cool.
Who are the girls?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25722 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's me on the left, then Dad of course, my Mom, and the daughter of my Mom's best friend. The girl is probably feeding something to our dachshund Ziggy, who was undoubtedly under the table begging for food.

Another pic, of the whole group, ringing out 1966.

Lots of Lithuanians ended up in Chicago and the suburbs, and they would get together fairly often at someone's house for Sunday supper or, in this case, for New Year's Eve. When the kids were really young, the adults would have a NYE party with dinner and dancing, but as we got a little older they included us in the festivities.

One of the earlier, all adult gatherings. December 31, 1961.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

The upside of this is that you were able to find this great photo!

My dad, his sister, and one paternal uncle (not the one in the pic) were among the few in their family who left Lithuania in 1944; the rest of the family stayed behind. Those who left were escaping ahead of the Russian army and only took essentials with them; photographs got left behind. And post-war, relatives who were still in Lithuania rarely sent photos. Getting letters through was tough enough. My dad had occasionally mentioned his uncles but we had no photographs of any of them so I had no idea what they looked like.

You can imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this one. It was almost like looking at my Dad's face.

Uncle's pic was on the website of the public library in my Dad's home town. Turns out he had worked at the library back in the late 1950s. He was also an attorney. I had no clue.

I can see how people get hooked on geneaology. It's like a treasure hunt. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training