well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another reason to use Macs ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another reason to use Macs ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Worldwide Outages ... Microsoft

Glad I'm not flying today.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
WaPo is requiring an email address in order to read gifted articles. I found the article on MSN for anyone who doesn't want to register at WaPo...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...ws-users/ar-BB1qg3iM

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38215 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Happy with my iPads and iPhone. A Mac may be next.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25850 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I never thought I would even consider buying a Mac but in an unexpected twist of life, I am doing precisely that. It remains to be seen if I actually go through to purchase one, but I'm so ticked off at Microsoft that it's a possibility.

I was informed by a recent Windows update that my laptop (which is still pretty new) is not eligible for Windows 11 and that Microsoft will cease to support Windows 10 next fall. They have made my not-that-old laptop obsolete and I'm pissed.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Lots of people trade out their laptops and PCs every three years or so because of breakage and obsolescence. I tend to keep my Apple devices for 5-7 years because they just keep on working.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Lots of people trade out their laptops and PCs every three years or so because of breakage and obsolescence. I tend to keep my Apple devices for 5-7 years because they just keep on working.

Crickey. I had my last laptop (Sony VAIO) for over 10 years. Before that I had an HP laptop for just as long if my memory serves me correctly.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My experience is the same as Bernard's with Windows machines. I've had both desktops and laptops for ten years.

I try to buy a machine with more memory and a better processor than I need at the time of purchase, which seems to work in my favor as the operating system evolves and eats up more resources.

My current laptop can't be upgraded from Windows 10, but that's the first time I've had a hardware limitation that will prevent an upgrade. iPads I bought around the same time or after the laptop maxxed out a long time ago as far as iOS updates are concerned. I'll stick with Windows for my laptops.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38215 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 years old MacBook Pro that’s still in active use (but have to keep it plugged in all the time because the old battery cannot hold much of a charge anymore).

And on that MacBook Pro is a Windows 10 virtual machine that’s still usable (but cannot be upgraded to Windows 11). That Windows VM outlasted all my other Windows computers. Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12732 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
... because it's embedded in a Mac. Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Posting this from a 15 y.o. MacBook Pro, just because of nostalgia.

This Mac tops out at OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), but by itself would not have worked with WTF since WTF's host started forcing HTTPS (which, at least in part, led to other issues like missing reply icon or missing quote icon some of you complained about not long ago), because the old Snow Leopard OS' security certificates and codes are outdated and Apple stopped supplying software updates for this OS version long ago. Had to install a third party proxy package to get this old machine/OS to work with WTF again. Big Grin

P.S Just tried to access WTF Beta with this. It does not work. It connects, but the browser itself is just too old to render WTF Beta properly. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12732 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post