well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your Company Dinner go-to
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Company Dinner go-to
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Unexpected (or maybe expected) company coming and you want a foolproof dinner recipe. Not much time and you don’t want much fuss. What do you serve?

Grilled steak and baked potatoes work in summer but require you pay close attention to the grill. My rock-solid choice is roast chicken. It’s always great and it’s low stress.

Clean and dry chickens. Salt inside and out. Stuff with lemon (very important), onion, sage, and rosemary. Rub outside with olive oil then poultry seasoning. Roast on a rack at 375 for 1.5 hours. Serve with a steamed veg and maybe a boxed pilaf.

What’s your go-to?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Any fish with julienned veggies prepared in parchment paper.

We usually have salmon in the freezer, so that would be our choice. Find your favorite seasonings.

Something like this: https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...table-recipe-1914616

I like finding the ones where the whole meal is in the packet - protein and veggies, then tear or scissors once on the plate. You can always add a starch for a side.

Easy to prep and then I think we've had the most luck with 17-18 minutes in the oven.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Some sort of baked salmon, mango chicken, lamb shanks, pork burnt end, teriyaki chicken, rotisserie chicken, Caesar salad, creamy Italian salad, …

Whatever prepared stuff I could get from Costco or Trader Joe’s or ALDI or the local grocery store that I can just take out of the container and serve. A little bit heating in an oven is fine, but basically no preparation. The specific selections will depend on attendees’ diet restrictions and what’s available and on discount at the store.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
In summer, grilled shrimp and panzanella. Light and delicious (it helps that I love it). Also spatchcocked chicken or salmon, sugar snap peas and corn on the cob In winter, some sort of braise - lamb shanks, short ribs, or a long cooked Bolognese.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have a chicken thighs baked with lemon, garlic, and capers recipe that's good. For company (and for Quirt), I throw in some breasts, too, but I'm not convinced they come out well. I always find white poultry meat to be dry, so I'm not a good judge. Sides might be coconut rice and broiled pineapple or roasted grape tomatoes.

It's a little more time consuming, but lasagna, salad, and garlic bread is always popular.

If I'm cooking for people of my cultural persuasion, I'd probably do ham or a pork roast, potato salad, and some kind of vegetable casserole.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
If I know that they're open to interesting spices, I have a chicken thighs in morroccan spices with dried apricots crockpot recipe that is to die for when served over couscous. I'd probably do a cucumber and tomato salad with it.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your Company Dinner go-to

I like to go-to other people's houses for dinner. Big Grin

Nice selection here....now if I can just wrangle an invitation...or two or three...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Rice Krispies chicken. It's baked, not fried. The recipe:

https://www.ricekrispies.com/e...-chicken-recipe.html

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
If I know that they're open to interesting spices, I have a chicken thighs in morroccan spices with dried apricots crockpot recipe that is to die for when served over couscous. I'd probably do a cucumber and tomato salad with it.

Mary Anna, you might like this. I use Castelvetrano unpitted olives and they cook up so buttery.

https://www.bonappetit.com/rec...een-olives-and-lemon

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That looks amazing! Thank you!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Recipe, please! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Any fish with julienned veggies prepared in parchment paper.

We usually have salmon in the freezer, so that would be our choice. Find your favorite seasonings.

Something like this: https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...table-recipe-1914616

I like finding the ones where the whole meal is in the packet - protein and veggies, then tear or scissors once on the plate. You can always add a starch for a side.

Easy to prep and then I think we've had the most luck with 17-18 minutes in the oven.

How hot is your oven for the 17-18 minute cook? I’m always worried that you can’t check the fish without letting all the steam out, and does that mean it’s game over?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Recipe, please! ThumbsUp

Here you go!
Moroccan Chicken with Chickpeas and Apricots

I used to have one that used prunes instead of apricots that I actually liked better, but it's awkward to tell your friends that you just fed them prunes, and saying "dried plums" doesn't fool anybody.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I tried out this chicken recipe from Tamimi & Ottolenghi's Jerusalem cookbook.

Roast Chicken with Clementines and Arak

It's really easy. I use chicken quarters rather than a whole cut up chicken. I prefer the dark meat and it stays moist.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This I gotta try! ThumbsUp