well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Somehow this doesn't come as much of a surprise
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somehow this doesn't come as much of a surprise
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
PRRI's 12th Annual American Values Survey

quote:
Almost one-third of Republicans say they think violence may be necessary to solve the problems facing the United States, according to a new national survey by the nonprofit Public Religion Research Institute. The finding is part of PRRI’s 12th annual American Values Survey released Monday which, among other things, highlights the continued impact of the same falsehoods and conspiracy theories that fueled the violent Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol nearly one year later.

The survey was conducted between Sept. 16 and Sept. 29 through online interviews with a random sample of 2,508 adults living in all 50 states. Nearly one in five, or 18 percent, of overall respondents said they agreed with the statement: “Because things have gotten so far off track, true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country,” including 30 percent of Republicans, 11 percent of Democrats and 17 percent of independents.

“It is an alarming finding,” said Robert Jones, CEO and founder of PRRI. “I’ve been doing this a while, for decades, and it’s not the kind of finding that as a sociologist, a public opinion pollster, that you’re used to seeing.”

Overall, the responses to this question illustrate the “significant and rapidly increasing polarization in the United States,” he said.

https://news.yahoo.com/prri-po...lence-040144322.html

Will be looking to see what Brookings has to say about the rest of the survey results...

https://connect.brookings.edu/...n-values-survey-2021

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
In related news, Florida will no longer require vaccinations for polio, mumps, or measles.

That's where my grandchildren live.

What in the heckety-heck is wrong with these people?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
In related news, Florida will no longer require vaccinations for polio, mumps, or measles.

That's where my grandchildren live.

What in the heckety-heck is wrong with these people?

Is there a media link to this? This is the first I’ve heard.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Florida will no longer require vaccinations for polio, mumps, or measles.

Florida vaccine requirements

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
PRRI's 12th Annual American Values Survey

quote:
Almost one-third of Republicans say they think violence may be necessary to solve the problems facing the United States, according to a new national survey

quote:

Will be looking to see what Brookings has to say about the rest of the survey results...

https://connect.brookings.edu/...n-values-survey-2021

That's just appalling - not that it hasn't been said many times over (including "our" two fora).

I wonder how the responses break down by age, location, race (hoping they checked that).

The biggest validation of the truth to that, has always been the astonishing number of armaments (guns and ammo) owned by ordinary citizens in this country - especially high-power ones. There's just no excuse for ownership of such powerful weapons (nor for permitting it). I wonder how the numbers breakdown per capita among owners.

No wonder the rest of the First World (and probably the developing world too) think we're nuts. (Wonder if there's going to be a run on bullet-proof vests before long - or perhaps there already is, among gun owners).

We've all heard pronouncements over the years about this phenomenon from a few of our forumites across the great Virtual Divide. I've taken them very seriously, alarmed the whole time.

I have no reason to think the demographic represented aren't serious and just as they describe themselves.
(Not just re how many guns and ammo they own, but the sentiments held by most of the owners.)

People who own and collect many of any specialty items with a particular function, tend to want deeply to use them - but now we're not speaking of either paintball guns or super-soakers.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Regarding the OP...An interesting companion question would be whether people think violence might be required to bring about certain social changes.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And regarding Florida....it's still not clear to me whether DeSantis is talking about just COVID vaccine mandates for kids, or if it extends to other vaccines. In the video that kluurs posted, I interpreted DeSantis' remarks as saying there would be no COVID vaccine requirement for kids. But nothing specifically about dropping current requirements for measles, etc.

I looked at the health department requirements and they still list required vaccines for schoolchildren.
http://www.floridahealth.gov/p...uirements/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's ambiguous, and that clip of DeSantis talking about mandates could be taken either way...just Covid or other vaccines too...but all the brouhaha has been about Covid vaccines so far, and the official site still has other childhood vaccine requirements unchanged.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We're gonna need a bigger handbasket... like one that holds 350 million people... or however many are left after the violence starts.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I would love to see an honest list of the problems that 1/3 of Republicans feel they need to address with violence. You know, something besides "own the libtards!"

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I would love to see an honest list of the problems that 1/3 of Republicans feel they need to address with violence. You know, something besides "own the libtards!"

Cute summary and irony, Nina.

I'm afraid, though, that they
just don't like democracy at heart. After all, it can lead to the tyranny of the (alleged) majority per them. A majority (or minority depending on how the Electoral College votes) who are such smart-alecks they (we) can usurp their rights by dominating the internet airways and rigging the voting machines.

So I think their goal is more a matter of taking over the government piecemeal (starting locally). Kind of a twisted restatement of what they claim the 2nd amendment protects them to do - only the elected government is NOT owning them.

It IS unpleasant to contemplate the odds favoring the camp owning all that weaponry, especially considering their deep sense of entitlement and enmity towards the Left (AKA Commies). It's like guerrilla warfare in that the soldiers don't wear different uniforms to make aiming easier - besides which the "other side" (us?) is basically unarmed.

Blowing up Jan. 6th to scale, shows their true colors and willingness (eagerness) to use violence. The (sensible) rest of us have nothing but our wits to protect us and we've already seen how little that helps. The opposite - that's why the majority hate the so-called Elite. Does anyone think they're reading the best-sellers featuring exposes of Trump or NYTimes opinion columns?

Reminds me a bit of MAO's China and Cambodia except the Reds here would be the Right-wing. In Cambodia, they aimed at those who wore glasses ("intellectuals"); here, college degrees could become like wearing a bulls-eye.

Good luck anybody who isn't in a gated community or can't afford to own a private militia.

(And those a couple of notches below that level, will just leave for safer shores willing to welcome them on the basis of income. That seemed to be on the point of happening on the eve of the last Election, as numerous discussions on WTF illustrated.

Only now are we getting back to discussing life issues like retirement, house remodeling, high blood pressure (and COVID, of course), unlike before when we were discussing jumping the coop.

Such irony that they justify their "rights"by pointing to the Constitution when they're really ready to overthrow it! The US Fore-fathers were far-seeing in many ways, but they can't have been expected to anticipate either the Internet or AK-20s.

Classic enactment of "Might makes Right" only it ought to read longer: "Right makes Might makes Right."

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I checked with my son, and he said that, as much as he hated to give DeSantis any credit whatsoever, his comment on vaccines for school children had been widely misreported. He was only talking about COVID vaccine mandates.

We agreed that DeSantis had plenty of marks on the red side of his ledger, but that there was no need to propagate an exaggeration. I'm sorry to have posted it here.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More on the survey:

https://www.prri.org/research/...ulture-under-attack/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Remarkable.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Time to buy a gun? Never had one other than a pellet gun used to kill cans.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post