well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Have you updated your will?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you updated your will?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A significant percentage of contributors to this forum are academics working for institutions that have decided to open up, even though the number of Covid cases in their area are increasing. From what I have read so far, a number if you have decided to represent the front lines and continue classes as usual. You know my opinion of these institutions and I’ll not belabor the point.

I admire your bravery and commitment, even as I wonder if there aren't better options available to you. That said, I’d like to suggest that each of you consult a wills and estates attorney to make sure your affairs are in order prior to setting foot in a classroom.

Update your will. It makes things so much easier for your heirs and it provides some comfort knowing that your estate will be handled in the manner you prefer. It may also make you think about what you are about to do and whether it’s necessary.

Sounds like a joke, right? It’s not a joke. I’m as serious as a COVID-19 infection. I care about you guys.

If you’re going in, go in informed.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Mary Anna and I actually did that last year.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, thank you. We actually are talking about, but we don’t have children, so our situation is a little different I think.

BTW my uni moved instruction online for the first four weeks. I can’t tell you how relieved I was when that was announced.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Last summer we updated ours.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Mine is fine ... I think.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
In the process.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37954 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I've opted to teach remotely, even though many of our classes will be F2F, and mine were sold as F2F initially. I've told the students and given them the option to stay or go to other classes. Their choice. If I "harm" some students who choose to leave for a different class that meets their needs less well, so be it. If I harm some students who stay, even though they're upset at the "lessened" experience, so be it. You can tell how bothered and concerned I am.

So close to retiring ...

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Our will is so outdated that it names as guardians for our kids a divorced couple where one is an alcoholic hoarder.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Our former guardians we’re heading down a similar path which was the impetus for the last change.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We redid ours when we moved to Oregon, but thank you for reminding me that I need to find a lawyer here and have it transferred (or whatever it is I’m supposed to do) I’ve meant to do that every move, and haven’t, because what was the point...

Pretty sure the faculty here were allowed a medical exemption to teach online if they needed it. System office decided for the whole state that we would be f2f. Steve is obviously not as worried about himself at the moment. But I’ve heard there is a betting pool going on guessing how long the semester will go before it’s completely online again. Football was just moved to the spring (announced yesterday).

Was interesting - we went and got takeout pizza at our favorite place - when it opened up again, they spread the tables out, roped off the bar, but seated people at all the booths. Then the mask order came, and people for the most part went in with masks on, but rules said they were allowed to eat and drink without them on, and the place was pretty packed every time I went in - all the serving staff has masks on - occasionally I’d see a bartender with his pulled down (we go get pizza about once a week) - so we went two days ago and were told to park outside - when we got there, the front doors were locked, and they were delivering food out the side door (you could go in to pick them up) I asked if they had a Covid case and got a “yes, we’ve been having lots of fun here, it’s crazy, same amount of business, but all takeout” so they must’ve had enough people have to quarantine that they had to shut - or they got shut again. Dominos is shut for the same reason, I’ve heard.

Does anybody else scream rude and personal obscenities in their head when they are in a store and somebody has worn a mask in, but then pulled out down to shop? I try to be forgiving - ok, maybe they have a medical reason - but man, it’s just a gut reaction. I’m a little worried those words may come out my mouth in a public place someday. Steve went in someplace and there was a super buff woman (like weightlifter type) who had slits cut in her mask. Frowner And then there was the guy who wore a mesh bag like you would buy tangerines in when the mask order first went into place. I need to take deep breaths, because I’m starting to react quite strongly - Steve had to turn the TV off when they were doing a story on that Clint Eastwood wannabe douchebag Sheriff with the no mask order from Florida because I was yelling at the television. Mad

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a lot of patience for the people who say they can’t wear a mask for medical reasons. It’s kind of like bringing your “emotional support” peacock onto the plane with you.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody else scream rude and personal obscenities in their head when they are in a store and somebody has worn a mask in, but then pulled out down to shop?

I was in my local Harris Teeter yesterday. I saw one "gentleman" with his mask obviously below his nose. I looked at the nearest store worker and said that people like that asshat are deliberately being disrespectful and disgusting. Then on the way out, I saw someone standing at the service counter chatting away completely unmasked.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I don’t have a lot of patience for the people who say they can’t wear a mask for medical reasons. It’s kind of like bringing your “emotional support” peacock onto the plane with you.

Agreed.

I might go even further and contend that even people with a true medical issue, like asthma, shouldn't have a get out of jail free card to do as they please. They can still become a super spreader. Their actions don't only affect them. Their needs aren't necessarily a trump card over others' needs. Maybe they get a friend/spouse to do their public errands for them if the condition really is serious enough that they can NOT wear a mask.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Agreed.

I might go even further and contend that even people with a true medical issue, like asthma, shouldn't have a get out of jail free card to do as they please. They can still become a super spreader. Their actions don't only affect them. Their needs aren't necessarily a trump card over others' needs. Maybe they get a friend/spouse to do their public errands for them if the condition really is serious enough that they can NOT wear a mask.

Accommodations only need to be reasonable. Putting staff and customers at risk is not reasonable. If you truly have a disability that prevents you from wearing a mask, call in your order and have it delivered outside.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t have a lot of patience for the people who say they can’t wear a mask for medical reasons.

Agreed. It's bs. I read somewhere something like "if you are able to be out and about, you do not get a medical exemption for masking"

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post