Find
Notify
Tools

Don
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Don was told that he has six months to a year to live.
He has no active cancers. His body has been ravaged by seven deadly cancers and the treatments for them.
He has an infection in his hip that cannot be treated. ??
He has survived due to his stubborn, independent nature and his significant comic ability.
He is a great cook. He has fed me and kept me laughing for over 20 years.
When it is time for hospice he will go to Rifle to his sister's home.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I hope the two of you have some quality time together over the next six months or a year.

And, who knows how long it will be. Doctors rectally acquire numbers like that. That's why they call it "practicing medicine". If they practice long enough, they may get good at it.

Best wishes to you both.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I was afraid to open this thread. I know that this is sad news, but my primary thought is that you have been lucky to have each other in your lives.

I hope the next year goes as well as it possibly can.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Hugs and positive thoughts for you, Don, and his loved ones.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18542 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
How is he feeling now? Hope you can have quality time.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Chas. I hope you can both make your remaining time together as joyful as possible.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
He sure counts as a survivor if anyone does.
SEVEN cancers!?

And he's kept his wits about him, managed to cook, stood it all and managed to be good company. WHAt a trouper!

In all the years we've known each other (and Don second hand) it seems to me this is far from the only time he's been given such a deadline on account of whatever the immediate unbeatable crisis was.

Regardless, he managed to get through it against all odds (hasn't be been pretty much given up on repeatedly?). He forged through whatever current horror confronted him, all involving tremendous pain.

Not to say this doctor isn't in touch with Don's current time frame, but nonetheless it behooves all to remember the many unbeatable odds he's beaten before.

Man, does he have guts! And a love of life sensed through the pixels. You too have special guts and forbearance, CHAS. We should all have such steadfast comrades.

May you spend whatever time remains to you, in that same spirit of deep friendship and affection to the last. Hoping the remaining hurdles are as easy as possible, full of vivid reminiscences of all the happy times you've shared before the Angel of Death cast a shadow over your lives.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
When it's time. When it's time. The physician's guess seems to be designed to get everyone to prepare more than to be a definitive timeline.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm wishing you quality time together. My heart goes out to both of you.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
He (and you) are amazing. I hope you both create some good memories over the coming months. He's one tough dude.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry, Chas. I know he means a lot to you.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
When it's time. When it's time. The physician's guess seems to be designed to get everyone to prepare more than to be a definitive timeline.

True
If Don followed that sort of prediction he would be long gone.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you all

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear the news - here's hoping the doctor's prediction is wrong. Regardless, I hope you are able to enjoy what remaining time you have, and that remaining time is long.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post