well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Breakthrough Covid in my house

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breakthrough Covid in my house
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
So after a year and a half, Covid finally got to our household.

We are all vaccinated but case transmission rates are high around us. And our school district is run by a conservative school board so they refuse to require masks....the governor finally belatedly stepped in with a mask mandate for this year, but our Trumpy district is passing out exemptions like candy so mask wearing is not really happening. I really thought it would be LL#2 or me bringing it home from the high school (I work with the marching band, where kids are happily blowing air through the instruments inside with no masks or instrument covers).

Instead, it was Mr. Lisa who brought it home. He spent 3 hours in a car with his sister going to a family funeral last Saturday. His sister and most of her family are unvaxxed - she's a bit of a fox news watching conspiracy believing type and her son (same age as LL#2) is the Trump-flag-on-his-truck sort. Her husband was vaccinated, but only because he needed spinal surgery a few months ago and the hospital wouldn't do it unless he got the vaccine....he was adamantly anti-vax up to that point and only did it reluctantly. It seems like he's the one who originated it (perhaps he picked it up at physical therapy), as he was coughing pretty hard on Saturday morning when they were leaving for the funeral but he said it was just his annual fall allergies. He did not go to the funeral so it was just Mr. Lisa and his sister in the car.

So whether her husband had it first and she was carrying it for the car trip or whether they got exposed together at the funeral, who knows. She started feeling bad on Sunday and Mr. Lisa started Monday afternoon.

At any rate, our families are now running our own unplanned controlled experiment on how well the vaccine/masking/distancing works. I immediately banished Mr Lisa to an extra bedroom and we have been wearing masks in the house whenever he is out and about getting food or using the bathroom. We have all the windows open to ventilate. So far, neither I nor LL#2 have any symptoms (and because we are vaccinated, we are not required to quarantine so life has been proceeding semi-normally for us.) Mr. Lisa ran a fever and had aches and pains for a few days, had a really bad stuffy nose and phegmy cough for a few days after that, and is now mostly feeling fine. (His sense of smell has not come back yet though.)

His sister on the other hand, is sick as a dog -- puking, diarrhea, high fever, shortness of breath just from walking to the bathroom, and says water tastes awful so she's having a hard time drinking enough to stay hydrated. Her son is also pretty bad - fevers and basically just sleeping for the last few days. She just went to the ER last night for an antibody and fluid infusion but thankfully they did not need to admit her. Her vaccinated husband is coughing but otherwise ok.

I think she has realized she picked the wrong side on the vaccination debate. Hopefully maybe that will translate to her rethinking some of her other political positions. (Her son on the other hand seems a lost cause - he was refusing to get tested and won't even take advil for his fever. And of course, he went to their high school's homecoming dance (unmasked) last Saturday night before anyone was showing symptoms so who knows how many more people he infected. Sigh.)

Anyhow, I feel like we are living proof that the vaccination works. Get those boosters, folks!

Posts: 4406 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I hope all recover quickly.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I hope it stays with Mr. Lisa. My son and his gf both had breakthrough covid and felt meh for about two days, tops. The hardest part was keeping to the quarantine when they felt totally fine.

Yes, the vaccine works.

I'm hoping for the same outcome at Chez Lisa.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think she has realized she picked the wrong side on the vaccination debate.

Ugh, I'm sorry that it had to take this to do it.

I hope everyone recovers fully, and that Mr. Lisa sails through and the rest of you don't get it!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18550 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yet another reminder that we're not quite out of the woods as far as the virus is concerned....

Sorry to hear the beast has visited your house but sounds like you guys will be ok. Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Sorry to hear this.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that the plague is upon you.

I just don't understand how some people, even when confronted with their own severe illness and potential mortality are clinging fervently to their beliefs in conspiracies and lies. It does not bode well for us as a species.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, welcome to the breakthrough club. Glad Mr. Lisa is recovering rapidly. Smell and taste were the effects that took longest to fully return for me too.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

I think she has realized she picked the wrong side on the vaccination debate. Hopefully maybe that will translate to her rethinking some of her other political positions.

I’m guessing she’s a pretty concrete thinker, and while she may realize the truth about vaccination, that doesn’t mean it will translate to the rest. One to one matching here.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I hope everything continues to get better.

Posts: 45751 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Covid hit your family.

Hope everyone is better soon!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. You can do your best, but so many vectors of transmission are out there.

I guess one small advantage of being an "only" is that I have no one to disown for their political/medical boneheadedness.

My eldest got over it, but had severe coughing afterward. Mom the doctor told him to get seen by someone who could supply him with an Albuterol inhaler, and that has helped with his post-COVID complications.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good call on the Albuterol. It works, but it’s expensive and not covered by my insurance.

I’ve found that Primatene is once again available OTC, works better and costs much less. Might be something to consider if he needs it over a longer period of time.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope the virus passes soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post