well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Who has two thumbs and covid? (And Paxlovid?) - AND NOW WITH REBOUND COVID
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has two thumbs and covid? (And Paxlovid?) - AND NOW WITH REBOUND COVID
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
That would be me. After 2+ years of successfully dodging it, covid finally got me -- not surprisingly, shortly after I stopped wearing my mask to teach. (Hey, what do you know, masking works!). I figure it's going to rip through the school anyhow (we've gotten rid of every covid precaution - no isolation, no quarantine, no reporting of positive testing, nothing) so I figured I might as well take my chances and just get it over with. In hindsight, maybe not my finest decision, LOL.

Anyhow, yeah, this feels pretty unpleasant, so I can't imagine how rough the initial variants were. I have a fever, chills, awful headache/sinus pressure, hacky cough, and so so much fatigue. Started feeling kind of ick on Sunday but tested negative on two different home tests Sunday and Monday so went into work on Monday figuring it was just allergies from the weather change. Monday night spiked a fever and got chills, tested positive at the minute clinic on Tuesday. They gave me Paxlovid which seemed to work pretty quickly - maybe I would have felt better anyway but it seemed to help within a few hours. It does definitely leave an absolutely disgusting constant taste in your mouth -- someone on the internet described it as grapefruit juice mixed with soap and I would say that is pretty accurate. But I'd rather taste that than feel like I was feeling yesterday so I'm just grateful there is something I can take that helps.

Anyhow, I don't know if there is anyone else here that has actually taken paxlovid so I'll keep you all posted on my progress if you want. My coworker (who I suspect I caught it from) has been on Paxlovid a few days longer than I have and says it's giving him pretty bad run-to-the-bathroom type stomach issues so I'm hoping to avoid that.

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I hope you recover completely very soon. Please let us know how it goes. I have not, to the best of my knowledge, had covid yet, but I don't feel like I can count on avoiding it indefinitely.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7417 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, dang. Sorry to hear it caught up with you. Hope you're better soon.

And yes, please keep us posted about your experience with Paxlovid.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just got over it. Mild cold for the first week, total drainage the next week (Kleenex stock went up), declining residual drainage the next and now we're back to total normal.

I got the Paxlovid, but after reading up on it and evaluating our symptoms, decided not to take it. Sounded like the cure was worse than the disease. I know someone from the old forums who took it and had a rebound case.

Hope it's mild and passes quickly.

This stuff is SO contagious. One person at the funeral infected twenty others.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
So sorry you have Covid, Lisa! I hope you feel better soon.

I’m hiding out, trying not to get Covid this week; I have to test negative on a proctored Covid test on Friday before I can go on to my teaching gigs for the next two weeks.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that you’re sick.

Get well soon! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So sorry Lisa!! Hope you're better quickly!

Lisa, can you remind me what you teach, and what level (K-6, 7-12, post-secondary)?

Classes start today here. In the next three hours, I will see approx. 80 students. I will likely be the only one masked....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I work with a high school marching band and indoor drumline. It's very very part-time after school extracurricular type hours except for these two weeks of band camp when we put in like basically 10 hour days. I've done the last several years of band camp with a mask and it's been hot and miserable and I've done all of this past summer's weekly practices which have been 3 hours on Wednesday nights with a mask and this time when bandcamp started I was literally the only person there wearing a mask and I felt weird and I was hot and sweaty and I just decided what the heck. Clearly a bad decision LOL.

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope you are better soon!!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
You sound pretty stoic but it must be a real drag. Get well soon, Lisa! Seems giving up cautious behavior can come back to hit us. Thanks for the reminder - speaking as a fellow Pennsylvanian surrounded by the mostly unmasked - and lots of students.

Personally, I restrict my mask wearing to when I'm in a crowded indoor venue. Our synagogue is still masking and Zooming the Shabbat service (masking for those who want to attend the indoor service).

Since our rabbi, however hale and hearty he looks, is over sixty (come to think of it, the members are mostly seniors and seniorish too), we will probably continue to mask indefinitely.

I wonder if we'll ever have a congregational Seder again. It has taken a toll on our feeling of fellowship. Every once in a while I bump into a member I haven't seen since COID started and notice they look markedly older (I'm sure I do to them too.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It is so difficult to predict... It seems like there are still so many different responses to getting sick with this!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Lisa, I get the whole thing of feeling weird being the only one masked.

Also< it’s one thing to be masked in a grocery store or something, it’s a quite another thing to be masked while trying to teach a big group in a noisy space…

I was, as anticipated, the only person masked in all of my classes.

Also it was super hot and three back-to-back classes was horrible.

I’ll do it again on Friday — masked of course.

Yay. -_-

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
But enough of me whining — Lisa, how are you feeling today?

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.s. I just noticed your first post was actually today. It feels like several days ago. suave

Let me try again.

Lisa, let us know how you’re feeling tomorrow.

Comfort

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Feel better soon. And thank you for the reminder to keep on using masks.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post