well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ok now I'm worried

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok now I'm worried
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I went to urgent care to get treatment for a nuance problem moving on.

They took my vitals and said my heart rate was low.

They did an EKG. It said (I have a copy) my heart rate was 47.

I just got time to look at Google.

It could be 40- 60 if I were an elite athlete.

Yeah, no.

They told me to follow up with my primary care Dr.

I already had an appointment (next week).

I have no doubt they're booked. I can't go sooner.

I don't know what to make of this.

WTF

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Sorry you have this medical concern, Daniel!
I too have an arrhythmia only it's something called AFIB (atrial fibrillation) for which I take a blood thinner to ward off stroke as this type of irregular beat, can cause one.

A few months ago, my heart went into tachycardia
which lasted weeks (hb over 100 for no discernible reason. I also felt fine). I noticed it thanks to my Apple Watch which my son got for me to check for AFIB. Cardiologist told me to go to ER.

There they monitored my heart with an EKG for several hours, and confirmed it was indeed abnormally fast. Since then it occasionally goes into a fast rhythm (sometimes with, sometimes without the AFIB) .

Since it sometimes dropped to an abnormally slow rate, a nurse said something about "tachycardy"- a condition where your beat goes high and sometimes low.

Dr. Google told me it can be caused by the sinus node in the heart (its natural pacemaker) somehow going out of whack. I don't know what treatment may be for bradycardia (slow heart beat) but I was prescribed metropolol for my fast beat, which I take PRN.

This isn't too informative for you, but maybe your doctor (s/he may want you to see a cardiologist) who may have you wear a monitor for days or even a week or so, to see how your heart runs over a longer period. I've done this several times. (It's painless and easy.)s

Which reminds me of what I should have said first, namely to ask you how long this lasted. If (as is probable) it was short-lasting, then probably you'll be diagnosed with the great catch all "idiopathic" and you can rest easy.

You've probably already googled most of this anyhow, so I shouldn't have rabbited on like this!

(How is your thyroid level?)

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Amanda, thanks for sharing your experience with me!

Interesting you should ask about my thyroid level because this could be related. to thyroid.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis...-causes/syc-20355474

My thyroid level is off, but high or low, I don't know.

I'd have to look at my diagnosis and Google it. I think it starts with "hypo.
."

I take thyroid medication. I have for years.

I should become more patient (pun not intended) when it comes to dealing with my health.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Interesting you should ask about my thyroid level because this could be related. to thyroid.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis...-causes/syc-20355474

Well, that's why I asked you about your thyroid!
Hypothyroid is one of the most innocuous causes of a bradycardia (likewise, taking too much thyroid - or producing too much - speeds up your pulse.)

Didn't you write in not long ago something was worrying you about your thyroid
(worried about thyroid cancer?? Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else.)

Is your heartbeat always that skow?

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did have a cancer scare with my thyroid.

No, nobody ever told me my heartbeat was slow.

My blood pressure is low. They tell me that all the time.