well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Where have all the hot pads gone?

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/7753986797

04 February 2023, 01:25 PM
AdagioM
Where have all the hot pads gone?
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Was at Costco a couple of days ago and saw this. I think they only had the blue at my Costco (it says assorted colors).

I didn't buy them because we're good on pot holders, but I'm almost tempted because I like the little pockets to stick your fingers in for the pot holders. And trivet would be nice.

And the price is right:

Oh, thanks for the heads up! I’ll look for those. I have mitts from two different sets (they each have a matching square pot holder), and they are stained with food but they’re the right size, shape, and thickness. I don’t wash them because they become too thin; everything mats down inside.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

04 February 2023, 03:20 PM
rontuner
I ordered some ove-gloves... I chose the BBQ ones because they cover more at the wrist.

I've got big hands, so we'll see!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

04 February 2023, 06:09 PM
Nina
I've wanted to try Ove gloves, but didn't know what they were called. I'm definitely going to order some. Thanks, Jodi!
05 February 2023, 03:13 PM
pianojuggler
I've been meaning to post these pics for months. These are at IKEA. They were between $1.50 and $2 each. They have quite a variety.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

05 February 2023, 07:46 PM
Amanda
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
We were given Ove Gloves once as a gift. They were too small for my hands, maybe work best for women’s hands. Unless they also come in a larger size, but I don’t think so.

Talk about sexist! You'd think with all the husbands/spouses just plain men cooking, supplies would have gone the other direction.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

05 February 2023, 07:53 PM
Amanda
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
When I was a kid, we made potholders with one of these kits that we got for Christmas. My mother and grandmother had potholders made this way for a long time. I wondered if the kits still existed and found them along with bags of the loops on Amazon.

Big Al

I got a set for my older son when he was a kid, and I was into retro toys. (Also got him key roller skates - the kind that screw onto shoe soles. Also real wooden Lincoln logs - instead of plastic and old erector sets with motors.)

Don't think he ever used any of them!

My mother must have had dozens of those kid-made hot pads.

05 February 2023, 07:59 PM
Amanda
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
We were given Ove Gloves once as a gift. They were too small for my hands, maybe work best for women’s hands. Unless they also come in a larger size, but I don’t think so.

Talk about sexist! You'd think with the trend toward men (spouses/husbands) cooking the trend would have gone in the other direction.

But then again, from the hubbie who asked the thread question:

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I like those. Sent the link to Sharon.

But why? What made the market shift?

05 February 2023, 08:01 PM
pianojuggler
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I ordered some ove-gloves... I chose the BBQ ones because they cover more at the wrist.

I've got big hands, so we'll see!
I picked up some welding gloves at Harbor Freight. The ones I got have extra long gauntlets. Looks like the ones they sell now aren't quite so long. I eventually got a few pair. One is by the fireplace. One is in the camping equipment (for cooking over or rearranging the campfire), and one is out at the barbecue grill. I can pick up a burning log with them. They are $7.50 a pair. They aren't super grippy, so I'm not sure I would use them for pulling a pan of cookies out of the oven. But they are fine for wielding barbecue tools.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

06 February 2023, 02:11 PM
Mary Anna
I've bought them at the grocery store and at Walmart within the past five years, so it would be a relatively recent change if you can't get them here any more.

Quirt likes the big mitts. I use them sometimes, since they're laying around, but I really prefer something like the flat square ones, because I can grab one up and use it one-handed. It takes time and usually a second hand to get the mitts on. Also, they sometimes hamper me when I'm doing something that requires dexterity.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

06 February 2023, 05:51 PM
pianojuggler
Mrs pj made me a handful of these which are in various places around the house, more as absorbent doilies than hotpads. This one usually holds my water glass or my cup of tea.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com