well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question for Mik

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Mik
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
You once mentioned that you enjoy drinking wine from fine crystal stemware. There’s lots of stemware available in thrift stores for just a few dollars - but which ones?

I think you’re talking about the thin, fragile ones that have a high pitched ring when you tap them. Others are more sturdy and make more of a thud when tapped.

Most are the classic tapered stemware shape but some have a rolled out lip at the top. Others are squatty and heavier but still have a stem. I never see anyone using that shape even though Mom insisted that they were the only proper vessel for red wine.

Most are clear but some have etched designs and still others are different colors.

Your thoughts?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on your question, but it's funny just how important the vessel is.

We have nice water glasses (Mikasa, I think).

I swear the water tastes better in those than in a plastic cup!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’m not Mik, but appreciate nice stemware. Good stuff doesn’t have to be expensive (like Riedel) and you don’t need to go the thrift store route, unless you want to.

I like Schott Zwiesel glasses in various shapes; I think Mik does too. They are about $7-10 per glass, but I’ve found some at discounters for less.

The shapes of glasses is another topic, and one can really get into the weeds.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I’m not Mik, but appreciate nice stemware. Good stuff doesn’t have to be expensive (like Riedel) and you don’t need to go the thrift store route, unless you want to.

I like Schott Zwiesel glasses in various shapes; I think Mik does too. They are about $7-10 per glass, but I’ve found some at discounters for less.

Yes, like the pinot noir specific wine glasses. Tulip shaped, big bowl, flared out lip. You can actually fit an entire bottle of wine in one (party trick! after the bottle is empty, use water), but that’s not how they’re meant to be used.

I like pretty stemware, especially for bubbly.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

you don’t need to go the thrift store route, unless you want to.

But you know I want to… Cool

quote:

I’d like to learn about this. Start a thread?

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I would just go to a decent store and familiarize yourself with what nice glassware looks and feels like (say, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sur La Table) and then hunt for similar at the thrift stores.

I have found that I just do not like heavy glasses. The thick rims feel weird against my mouth…maybe that’s just me though. And some of the new thin glasses are made in such a way as to resist casual breakage.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I love the Schott-Zweisel Tritan crystal. It's a titanium crystal and is the Corelle of wine glasses. they are quite tough very lightweight and last a long, long time. That is not to say you can't break them - you can, but not like the ridiculously expensive and fragile Reidels. It takes a pretty good hit to do so. We only break maybe one a year and they are in heavy rotation.

As good as they are, if I were you I'd get a thicker, less expensive restaurant grade glass for the lake house. They are less likely to disappear. Too bad. I just sold about 60 of them for fifty cents apiece in a yard sale. I used them for neighborhood wine tastings.

They were this same thing, I believe. Good glasses, and if you g=break one, no big loss.

https://www.meijer.com/shoppin...sses/3100924501.html

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh I see you are looking for guest house glasses. Then get the cheap heavy ones—I bought some of those for house parties. I just don’t like to use them myself!

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I love the high chime-like sound fine stemware gives off when lightly "pinged."

But my mind was blown a few days ago, encountering a chart identifying ALL the many shapes they come in and what wine they are to accompany. (An area of connoisseurship I do not intend to make the effort to master. Enough is enough. )

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I found a set of 6 beautiful crystal stems today at Goodwill. They made the most beautiful sound when I tapped them!

Hard to pass up at $2 each but they were just too big. ☹️

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
I love the high chime-like sound fine stemware gives off when lightly "pinged."

But my mind was blown a few days ago, encountering a chart identifying ALL the many shapes they come in and what wine they are to accompany. (An area of connoisseurship I do not intend to make the effort to master. Enough is enough. )
ours do that. I used to ting them when it was time for MFR to quit working and have a glass of wine.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post