well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The 2022/2024 Narratives

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2022/2024 Narratives
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
So what do the Dems do to prepare for the midterms and the next presidential election?

We need to send them our suggestions...here are a few I came up with...

1) The Great Dealmaker didn't seem to make Great Deals.

quote:
Records show Trump’s border wall is costing taxpayers billions more than initial contracts

As the presidential election nears, a review of federal spending data found modifications to contracts have increased the price of the border wall by billions, costing about five times more per mile than it did under previous administrations.

https://www.texastribune.org/2...s-cost-rising-trump/

2) "Selective budget hawks". I like that one:

quote:
U.S. Sen. Rick Scott won’t budge from his belief in tax cuts passed under the previous presidential administration before he got to the Senate.

“First off, I’m not going to raise anybody’s taxes,” Scott said when asked about repealing the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, a sweeping corporate tax relief measure passed while Donald Trump was President and as deficits surged.

Scott said he wanted to “lower taxes,” condemning a “staggering” amount of waste in the federal government.

Those comments on Fox News Sunday came moments after he defended his vote against federal infrastructure spending he said was not “real infrastructure” and “was not paid for.” The package includes $13.1 billion of repairs for 3,564 miles of bad Florida roadway, rural broadband expansion, and electric vehicle charging stations.

Even when host Chris Wallace noted that the tax cuts would, per the Congressional Budget Office, add $2 trillion to the debt, Scott was unmoved.

Scott noted he cut taxes and fees as Governor, dodging the question entirely for well-worn anecdote, and urging line-item vetoes, a prerogative President Joe Biden doesn’t enjoy, of budget excesses.

Wallace asked the Senator the same question again: “When Donald Trump was President, you had the tax cut, which added $2 trillion to the deficit, according to the Congressional Budget Office. And you didn’t have the commensurate spending cuts. So, the question is, if you’re not going to have the spending cuts, should you repeal the tax cuts — if the debt and deficit are so vital?”

“I am not raising anybody’s taxes, I want lower taxes,” Scott responded. “I want to watch how we spend our money. I’ve been in the Senate for two years and nine months. The waste is staggering. Americans should be furious with the way money is spent in the Senate and in Congress.”

The Biden administration has invoked Republicans backing the tax cuts in the Trump administration as exemplifying the selective nature of the GOP’s budget hawk stance.

https://floridapolitics.com/ar...ts-to-stay-in-place/

Got any to add??

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Logic doesn't matter.

Don't expect consistent actions from Republicans - comparing their past choices on something they want vs something that they don't want can induce mental whiplash.

Messaging matters. Dems still haven't learned this one.

That should be a start...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I am incredibly disappointed in the Dems. Not enough to make me turn into a Republican (or at least, the current version of a Republican), but they appear to be following their same pattern of the circular firing squad. I'm annoyed at Manchin, at Sinema, and at the cadre of 'progressives' who are willing to take nothing rather than something. I had hoped for more from Biden, though what specifically I can't say. I agree with his first moves, but he's been bogged down for a good six months. I had hoped for someone who could take some of these people to the woodshed, so to speak, and get them to fall in line. The fact that he's been unsuccessful is truly scary when you consider the alternative.

And that's coming from me, who pretty much despises the current GOP as it's being reframed by the existing members. I think we're doomed. I'm pretty depressed, actually.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I think we're doomed. I'm pretty depressed, actually.

I hear the exact same thing from the right.

The powers that be, want us divided like this. It makes it easy for them to do what they want vs. what the people need.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:

The powers that be, want us divided like this. It makes it easy for them to do what they want vs. what the people need.
Those powers are not necessarily in the US. There are other countries that want to weaken the US and Europe. Putting us in a jar and shaking it to watch us fight is much cheaper and easier than dropping a few nukes.

It’s working.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Who do you think are "the powers that be?"

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:

Those powers are not necessarily in the US. There are other countries that want to weaken the US and Europe. Putting us in a jar and shaking it to watch us fight is much cheaper and easier than dropping a few nukes.

It’s working.

It became most evident with the first Trump election, when the expert Russian bots and bot-makers perfected the art of programming all the anti-infra-American propaganda (so fine-tuned it was even capable of targeting by individuals).

All infinitely helped by Mark Zuckerberg (under the pretext of protecting free-speech) raking in the profits - innocent blue eyes wide open - and somehow never noticing when they were being paid in rubles.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s working.

This. Divide and Conquer.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Exactly. They have us pointing at each other and shouting 'ENEMY!'. The truth is none of us, save the very fringes, are all that far apart in what we want.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s working.

This. Divide and Conquer.

We are *all* participants in this.

Country borders are a construct of our imaginations. A "country" is just another tribe. Pointing to other countries as being to blame is just another version of crying 'ENEMY!'

Individual humans have banded together in groups to achieve their desired common goals since time immemorial. The easiest way to amass support is to accuse the other tribe of taking something we value away from us, or preventing us from getting it in the first place. It stirs up emotions and gets people to act.

We are interacting with people from all over the world on a daily basis, either through direct contact because we can travel just about anywhere, or via the magic of the internet. It also means we are much more likely to bump into people whose goals run counter to ours.

We have to keep trying to find the things that unite us, but we're fighting our inherent human nature.

It's gonna be a long slog.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Republicans and Democrats contemplate a future without Donald Trump

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/13...without-donald-trump

Bazootiehead-in-training