well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Comments?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comments?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted

Posts: 24784 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Man's inhumanity to man.

Posts: 13636 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Black on Black violence.

I found it at least a little strange that the race of the victim was identified in the lead paragraph of the story, while the race of the officers was not mentioned until about halfway through a very long story. It would be easy to jump to some unjustified conclusions.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7423 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Big Al - but what does it say that I also just assumed the police would be white?

Then I got into this spiral of thinking... thin blue line trumps race, but does it really? In this case yes, it appears to. But when push comes to shove in terms of pay, promotions, sticking up for each other in tough times, I'm wondering if that would still hold true.

What a world.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I just watched a little bit of the video footage that's been released. It's absolutely horrific.

What is wrong with our policing system that there are these kinds of officers on so many police forces around the country?

Why does this keep happening again and again?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, the racial composition of the criminal police came as a surprise a few days ago when the story broke. That may keep a lid on the violence of the reaction.

But consider this: see how quickly these police were fired, and charged with murder. On the one hand, I feel like screaming IT'S ABOUT TIME. Then I wonder if that's BECAUSE of the racial composition of the murderous Memphis police mob. What if four of the five killer cops had been white southerners? Would the force (and the unions) have rallied round the blue for at least a bit longer?

Posts: 12569 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They murdered him or they didn't. I'll wait and see.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It seems that police culture is the problem — who it attracts ad recruits, and why.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
It seems that police culture is the problem — who it attracts ad recruits, and why.

+1

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I ******* hate the police. I hate what they do to black and young people in this country. They assault even young white men here. A friend of mine ran out her house in her bathrobe to confront a gang of police who were threatening a young neighbor kid. She lost all sense or fear and went after them full bore and shamed them until they backed off.

It's a culture of bullies. They are backward, criminal, violent.

A cop in NYC threatened to shoot my dog. He was barking from *inside my van* *with the windows rolled up* and could not do a thing to the officer. The cop kept screaming "i'm going to shoot your dog!" I screamed back at him, "are you ******* crazy?! The dog can't do a thing to you!" If I hadn't been a young white woman I know I could not have gotten away with that. I made sure all my doors were locked and I drove the hell out of there.

When police came to my house in Missoula, I put my dog inside my bedroom and shut the door before I would open the front door to them. They heard my dog barking from behind the bedroom door and demanded I let him out. No way in hell.

But worst of all is the terror black people live in in this country only because of the police. we live in a ******* police state, people.

If I wasn't isolated on top of a mountain in a blizzard at the moment I would be in the streets.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

they MURDERED him Daniel! Didn't you watch the video? That is cold blooded murder.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But consider this: see how quickly these police were fired, and charged with murder. On the one hand, I feel like screaming IT'S ABOUT TIME. Then I wonder if that's BECAUSE of the racial composition of the murderous Memphis police mob. What if four of the five killer cops had been white southerners? Would the force (and the unions) have rallied round the blue for at least a bit longer?

P*D, I agree with this take.

RP:
quote:

I think it’s also what happens once someone is on the police force, so not just at the recruiting stage, but the culture of policing itself.

Lastly:
quote:
they MURDERED him Daniel! Didn't you watch the video? That is cold blooded murder.

This. I don’t see how anyone could watch the video and have an ounce of doubt about what happened.

They beat him with no provocation, and then let him lie there without providing medical assistance.

To get back to what RP said, I think there’s a culture of escalation and often the starting point of encounters seems to be based on violence (on the part of police) from the very first seconds of an encounter.

Piqué’s description of her encounters are a prime example of that.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Oh, I know. I was being rhetorical. My thought was they will have to be tried and hopefully they will be found guilty and have the book thrown at them.

And, no. I haven't watched the video. I did watch this interview with the Police Chief:

https://youtu.be/9aA1bTFu27M

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

P*D, I agree with this take.

The Blue Lives Matter crowd has basically gone silent. Shocking, I know ...

But much of that crowd is white supremacist using their blue support as a disingenuous prop.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post