well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Need Windows PDF app recommendations ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Windows PDF app recommendations ...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Folks, if you work with PDF files on Windows, please recommend a couple of PDF software applications that from your experience you think work well with Windows.

Basically looking for:

• addendum: anything but Adobe Acrobat
  • a "reader" application that only need to be able to display and print PDF files, "form filling" capability would be nice but not strictly necessary.
  • an "editor" application that can edit PDF files, particularly to "merge" PDF files or delete select pages or rearrange pages. Also welcome ability to fill PDF forms. Additional functions like applying watermarks or adding headers/footers would also be welcome but not strictly necessary.
  • these applications should run well in Windows 10 and hopefully be forwardly compatible with Windows 11

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12704 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I can edit, merge, create PDFs by combining files, rotate, OCR, add/delete pages, add/delete text...

I have not doubt that it will be updated to match W11 as well.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18614 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I used Acrobat Pro DC at work, as well. It’s not the smoothest interface, but it does everything. I think it’s not cheap (subscription?). I think the only thing that Pro does that non-Pro does not is document comparison. Or maybe that’s what the “DC” stands for.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the only thing that Pro does that non-Pro does not is document comparison.

I didn’t realize there was a no DC version.

Is there a non-pro version that’s not free?

I only ask bc I’m pretty sure the free version is severely limited, so anyone who wants those functions will have to pay.

I have mine through work so I have no idea how much it is.

BTW I hate that everything now is a subscription model

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18614 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot to specify “no Adobe Acrobat” … that would have been the obvious choice, except it’s quite resource intensive and is subscription based. Prefer a perpetual license with one time payment rather than subscription. Thanks.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I use the free version of FoxIT and have for years. There’s a paid version as well but I haven’t needed it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35004 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
Take a look at PDFILL. The free tools are good and the editor is $20 or free online.

Posts: 976 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reminding me about Foxit. I used it myself years ago and will revisit it again. PDFILL is new to me, will check it out too. Thanks!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album