well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What behaviors will you change and when?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What behaviors will you change and when?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I cut my own hair three times.
I wear a cap frequently.
Cutting hair is not part of my skillset.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25697 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
the setup and cleanup

My thing is, I have never had a stylist who consistently gives me a perfect cut.

I did. I left her in Florida. Sniff.

I've found a stylist here who is very talented and I like her personally. She does a good job and I'll stay with her.

It's just that my hair is weird. It looks horrible if I try to straighten it, so I go with the curls. But it's not really curly, either. You can do the highly trained stylist thing and measure every strand to the last nanometer and it'll look...fine. Okay. Whatever.

Irene used to cut it dry, and it's not possible to do the nanometer thing on hair like mine when it's dry. She'd whack here and there, feel it, push it around, whack some more, and only then would she wash it. If it didn't dry straight--and it's weird, so sometimes it doesn't--she'd whack a little more. She was like the curly hair whisperer.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I just rescheduled my next dentist appointment until after my second shot. I went in once during the quarantine and they handled it well, but I figure no rush at this point.

Like Jon, I’m thinking of resuming grocery shopping etc. a couple weeks after my first shot, which is about a week from now.

A couple weeks after my second shot, I could be out licking strangers…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
The biggest change would be eating out again... But my opportunity of getting a vaccine will probably be about the time that outdoor seating becomes possible again in Chicago, so we won't plan on eating inside a bar or restaurant until the infection rate is near zero in our area.

Our daughter and son-in-law are in the Dominican Republic, so it would be great to go visit! They are probably way down the list of getting a shot, so we'd be sure to quaranteen and test before going.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7548 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I went grocery shopping at 7:30am double masked after instacart delivered someone else's order.
Don has had so many cancer treatments his immune system is not good.
Don't want to risk an asymptomatic case that Don could catch.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25697 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, we both want to make a trip to the dentist and eye doctor.

Mary Anna, I have read about how hard it can be to cut curly hair. You need someone who will fully commit themselves to understanding *your* hair. I don't think many hairdressers take the time.

Steve
quote:
Well he is, after all, "good with the hedges."

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18387 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I finally cracked and got my hair cut awhile back. It had been over a year and I just couldn't take it any longer.

I have a mammogram and a trip to the dentist in April and will do both, but that's about it.

I've been sooo tempted to do something else, mainly just socialize, but then I keep reminding myself that I would essentially be bailing out on mile 25 of a marathon, which would be stupid.

Mr. Nina will want to visit his dad across the country, and we're seriously thinking of road-tripping it and camping, even post-vaccine, just because we're nervous. Or perhaps he'll fly. I'm looking forward to having people over more than anything else, or maybe even going in to work, physically, a day a week. My workplace is considering opening up in mid-September for fall term, and that's when we'd all be allowed to return, in theory. We have a family reunion in Colorado (Chas, in Breckenridge) for mid-July. The airbnb will let me cancel up to the end of June, so we're crossing our fingers and toes that we can all go. We'll definitely drive there, and I'm looking forward to visiting the old family stomping grounds on the western slope. If we can't go, we'll try again for Thanksgiving, most likely.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should know that “good with the hedges” is now well embedded in Miller family lore.

“Cousin Goofus quit his job at the car wash to focus on the design of fusion generators.”

“Well, he’s good with the hedges.” Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34881 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’ll go visit my dad. Won’t be for a while. Too busy at work to deal with vaccines or read up on what’s known about them, so I’m thinking a few more months.

Most of the other things that interest me are things I do anyway or are things I don’t want to do anyway, like work travel.

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It might be a weather thing, but we never stopped seeing friends outdoors. Sat way apart and had a nice time.

I look forward to more of that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34881 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

You should know that “good with the hedges” is now well embedded in Miller family lore.

“Cousin Goofus quit his job at the car wash to focus on the design of fusion generators.”

“Well, he’s good with the hedges.” Cool

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18387 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It might be a weather thing, but we never stopped seeing friends outdoors. Sat way apart and had a nice time.

We did that very occasionally until it got too cold. Probably would have paused it anyway in December on account of the case levels.

It’ll probably be warm enough to resume right about the time I’m protected anyway.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

I'll send my son to school and camp (HUGE for us)

Schedule piano party. Masked except for Grotriman when he plays the clarinet

Put an N95 on the end of the clarinet.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Plumber
Dentist
Florida trip to visit daughter and get warm
Live music concerts

I’ve been cutting what’s left of my hair for at least a decade. I don’t particularly care how it looks.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We're both a month since our second vaccine.

Have had two haircuts at a salon during Covid. But they were very careful.

Because of my bike accident and hip surgery, I did not have the option of being isolated during the last year. I was in the hospital during peak Covid in NYC (early April) and thankfully escaped infection. But I still had medical followups and then physical therapy 2-3 times a week. The therapy center was a large room with a dozen or more staff/patients in it, but I was masked (not everyone was) and I just had to hope that the size of the room was enough to keep me safe. Therapy is now over.

Now that we're two weeks post-vaccine, we've eaten in a restaurant twice (coffee place that serves food). There's a 35% max occupancy here. We'll probably try other places as well.

I'll have my grandson over for a piano lesson for the first time in a year, next weekend. He did a couple of months with somebody who did online teaching, which I'm not capable of. We'll see how he's doing.

We may fly to Florida to visit relatives. Still under discussion.

I went to Manhattan a couple of times to play in a "storefront concert" situation, which was nice, up near Lincoln Center. Audience outdoors on the sidewalk, me indoors playing.

Also went to the Museum of Modern Art the other day. You have to schedule a time because they don't want crowding. It felt so good to be around people in that setting. I felt some of that New York vibrancy after being at home so much of the time.

Had one piano tuning during Covid, and now need to schedule another one. And get my action replaced.

So many of my performer friends make videos of themselves playing that you can see online. I am not set up for that, but should learn. Seems like such a pain to have to buy sound and lighting equipment and set it all up, but I'm stuck in the past I guess!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13798 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post