well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Now with link to video: If you'd like to hear me chatter about Agatha Christie...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now with link to video: If you'd like to hear me chatter about Agatha Christie...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
...I'll be on Zoom with the other Edgar nominees in fifteen minutes.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
That was awesome.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the nomination!
I caught the Zoom session in time and learned something new about Agatha Christie. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I joined 10 minutes in, and watched to the end. Very nice!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I missed it. Was the session recorded?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all!

Yes, Big Al, it was recorded. I'll find out where it's archived and post the link.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Link to YouTube video of webinar

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh cool! Thanks for sharing the link, I’ll watch it too.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that link. Mystery has not been one of my primary genres of choice, although I have enjoyed all your novels and had a favorite mystery writer for a number of years in K. C. Constantine (a pen name), whose police procedurals were set in locations pretty clearly drawn from western Pennsylvania locations.

The discussion made me appreciate the realm of the mystery novel more. It also made me wonder if there are a few mystery novelists beyond Agatha Christie that you have a special affinity for or would especially recommend.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Good question!

Spending three years working on that book really cut into my pleasure reading time, but I read several dozen of her books and all 170 short stories during that time, so it's not like I stopped reading. lol

I really admire Louis Bayard's The Pale Blue Eye, which was just made into a movie. The plot wobbles some at the climax, but it's a beautifully written homage to Poe.

My mystery class just read Rachel Howzell Hall's They All Fall Down, a modern updating up Christie's And Then There Were None. Again, I have quibbles, but it's a good book, and it's fun to read it back to back with Christie's original.

My friend Ann Parker writes a good historical series set in the West. She just won a Spur for her most recent one.

I'm hearing good things about Winter Counts by David Heska Wanbli Weiden, which has won or been nominated for alllllllll the awards. My students and I read one of his short stories and I thought it was really good.

I admire Dennis Lehane a lot, although I'm behind and haven't read several of his latest. Mystic River, Shutter Island, and Live by Night are very good and very different from each other.

I loved Val McDermid's A Place of Execution and want to read more of hers. This is the book that one of my graduate students, as he was giving a presentation on it, said that he got to a certain point and hollered, "Holy sh!t! Now I've got to read the whole thing again!" I love a book that sneaks up on you like that.

That'll keep you reading for a while!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com