well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Spring has Sprung!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring has Sprung!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s supposed to snow tomorrow but I don’t care. The grocery store got a new shipment of produce and it’s spectacular!

Gone are the limp carrots and sad looking little bunches of celery. The potatoes are big and firm and the onions don’t have black spots. The radishes are bright and crisp - I ate an entire bunch for lunch and will be going back for more.

And the prices have dropped too!

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Snowing like crazy here but only sticking a little on the lawn. Early April snow is not unheard of (we've had a couple of doozy storms in the past) but certainly not welcome. I want to be out in the yard and the snow is getting in the way.

Radishes!! One of my favorite spring crops and a wonderful early childhood memory of planting the seeds with my Dad. We'd harvest them and eat them smeared with a little butter and a sprinkle of salt. It's a Lithuanian thing...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
We were welcoming Spring here in PA too, when all of a sudden we had a relapse of Winter, including a strange blasting snow squall.

It was brief but led to a completely blinding white out. It caused a massive pile-up on a major highway. Eighty car crash including several tractor trailers causing six deaths and dozens of injuries. Was almost impossible to reach them for rescue.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
We were welcoming Spring here in PA too, when all of a sudden we had a relapse of Winter, including a strange blasting snow squall.

It was brief but led to a completely blinding white out. It caused a massive pile-up on a major highway. Eighty car crash including several tractor trailers causing six deaths and dozens of injuries. Was almost impossible to reach them for rescue.

I drove that stretch of road about two hours before the pileup. I got hit with a full on whiteout and couldn’t decide whether to slow down and get hit or soldier on in the ruts made by the car in front of me.

Luckily what I hit was just a squall and was gone in a few minutes.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Snowing like crazy here but only sticking a little on the lawn. Early April snow is not unheard of (we've had a couple of doozy storms in the past) but certainly not welcome. I want to be out in the yard and the snow is getting in the way.

Radishes!! One of my favorite spring crops and a wonderful early childhood memory of planting the seeds with my Dad. We'd harvest them and eat them smeared with a little butter and a sprinkle of salt. It's a Lithuanian thing...

I like radishes. Will try them with salt and butter. They are very good for the sinuses. Thanks

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25714 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
These appeared in the store this week and I have never seen them before. What would you do with them?

Also these onions. How do you use them?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My little cherry tree has buds on it! happydance

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've never prepared parsley root, but it's pretty much what I figured:

quote:
What is Parsley Root?

Though its root sets it apart, parsley root is indeed a variety of parsley. Parsley is a member of the carrot family, which goes a long way to explain its appearance. Although its root could be mistaken for a parsnip or a white carrot, its flavor is most similar to celery. Its texture is dry like a parsnip, however, and it can be cooked like one. The leaves are broader and tougher than those of herb parsley varieties, and their flavor is stronger and a bit more bitter. They’re great for garnish, or as an herb when you want a bold taste.

More info in case you love it and decide you want to grow it.

The knob onions are between a green onion and a regular onion; the size of the bulb reflects how early in the growing cycle the plant is pulled up.

The fact that it's labeled "sweet" means that it's one of the Vidalia-like varieties that is milder and not as pungent. Definitely grillable, given their smallish size....

That's some pretty nice looking produce. What kind of store is it sold in? Not a chain, I presume, but maybe a specialty market?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
One article says knob onions are the same as boiling onions. I've seen that term before but have never thought much about it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There is a goose with a bunch of babies swimming in the pond and a flock of what turns out to be turkey vultures just flew in and landed near them. Mama goose was not amused and chased them away.

Wild Kingdom in my own backyard! Smiler