well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Speaking of painters...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of painters...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
We were at SIL/BIL's yesterday in Indy. Their next-door neighbor was having their brick house painted. The painters were applying some sort of blue-purple textured sheeting on it before painting???BIL said it was some sort of textured 3D sheeting that looked like brick. I could not quite fathom how that worked or why it would be better than just priming the brick?.

Steve?

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13584 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
looked like brick.

So they wanted to make the brick look more like... brick?

How odd!

There are a lot of brick houses (ranch and otherwise) around here, including our own. From what I could tell while housing hunting, and then just casually following the real estate market down here since, it seems that painting brick houses is popular. People also seem to think that will help their houses sell more quickly (well, pre-covid market anyway). Often you can find images of the pre-painted house on Google Streetview or older listings, and I've seen some where the painted version is an improvement, but not all.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18610 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Mik. Haven't seen that product around here. Guess the fake brick holds paint better and it can be reversed to go back to unpainted brick sometime in the future. Or you can change the style of the brick on the house.

Painted brick, exterior and interior (fireplaces), is happening here, too. Not a fan myself but it seems to be very popular. I wonder if it's a lipstick-on-a-pig strategy to hide the need for major tuckpointing...

edit: Staining vs painting brick

https://brickimaging.com/pros-...ting-exterior-brick/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen brick paneling but nothing like you’re describing.

Interesting.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35001 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Interesting, Mik. Haven't seen that product around here. Guess the fake brick holds paint better and it can be reversed to go back to unpainted brick sometime in the future. Or you can change the style of the brick on the house.

Painted brick, exterior and interior (fireplaces), is happening here, too. Not a fan myself but it seems to be very popular. I wonder if it's a lipstick-on-a-pig strategy to hide the need for major tuckpointing...

edit: Staining vs painting brick

https://brickimaging.com/pros-...ting-exterior-brick/

The ability to go back makes sense. I was shocked, because when I first pulled up the color was just the sheeting and was a sickly blue-purple. When we came back after dinner they had sprayed it a much better gray.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13584 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Around here they have to paint the brick because some of the (old, not well made) brick is disintegrating. I’ve picked up pieces off the street and ground them easily into paint.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve picked up pieces off the street and ground them easily into paint.

HairRaising

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18610 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Is any ok brick being painted?
Why build with brick if it will be painted?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25735 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post