well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Classic New Year's topic

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic New Year's topic
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
How to get more exercise....

I was looking for some strengthening exercises for my injured knee and ran across a website run by a woman who is a physical therapist and Pilates instructor. The knee exercises looked pretty good and I'm starting them today.

She also had a bit on her blog about a Schwinn alternative to Peloton that is less expensive. Thought I'd pass the info along in case anyone is interested. I didn't do research to confirm her conclusions, so don't take this as an endorsement. Just an FYI for those who might be considering an exercise bike....

https://www.jessicavalantpilat.../peloton_alternative

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
4 seconds of exercise at a time.

quote:
In what is probably the definitive word on how little exercise we can get away with, a new study finds that a mere four seconds of intense intervals, repeated until they amount to about a minute of total exertion, lead to rapid and meaningful improvements in strength, fitness and general physical performance among middle-aged and older adults.

The study relied on a type of specialized stationary bicycle that is not widely available, but, even so, the results suggest that strenuous but super-abbreviated workouts can produce outsize benefits for our health and well-being, a timely message as we plan our New Year’s exercise resolutions.

I have often written about the potential benefits of brief, high-intensity interval training, or H.I.I.T., an approach to exercise that consists of quick spurts of draining physical effort, followed by rest, with the sequence repeated multiple times. In studies, short H.I.I.T. workouts typically produce health gains that are equal to or more pronounced than much longer, gentler workouts.

But the ideal length of the intervals in these workouts has been unsettled. Researchers studying H.I.I.T. agree that the optimal interval span should stress our muscles and other bodily systems enough to jump-start potent physiological changes but not so much that we groan, give up and decline to try that workout ever again. In practice, those dueling goals have led H.I.I.T. scientists to study intervals ranging from a protracted four minutes to a quickie 20 seconds.

But Ed Coyle, an exercise physiologist at the University of Texas in Austin, and his graduate assistant Jakob Allen suspected that even 20-second spurts, performed intensely, might exceed some exercisers’ tolerance. So, he decided to start looking for the shortest possible interval that was still effective.

And in the new study, which was published this week in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, he and his colleagues settled on a blink-swift four seconds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/1...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
jodi - Big Grin and ThumbsUp

So here's another one for ya.....micro-habits....

quote:
I’m sick of lists of habits that are unrealistic for the majority of people. Even worse is when someone says to wake up at 5 am or run 10 kilometers every day and calls it a micro-habit.

This is not one of those lists.

Each micro-habit here takes one minute at most each day or uses a task most people do anyway. None of them will transform or revolutionize your life but they can help you live a little bit better every day and this adds up over time.

I draw on the research by BJ Fogg in “Tiny Habits” and the Japanese concept of kaizen. When each task is so small it’s hard to skip it so there’s no need for willpower. The beauty of this is after some time it becomes a natural part of your daily routine so you’re acting in your best interests without even realizing it!

I’ve avoided fluffy ideas and stuck to things I have done in my own life where I can find good research backing. Don’t try to do everything on this list at once but pick the ones you think will work for you. Later you can come back for more or create your own to suit your lifestyle. Here we go!

https://medium.com/the-ascent/...ery-day-df1731a2cd41

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Good article, interesting list!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have had a version of the stand on one leg thing that I've been doing for a while; I call it Sock Chi. Every day I put my socks on while standing up. Forces me to balance on one leg; I figure it's good for strength and balance.

Worked for the Karate Kid....

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I have had a version of the stand on one leg thing that I've been doing for a while; I call it Sock Chi. Every day I put my socks on while standing up. Forces me to balance on one leg; I figure it's good for strength and balance.

Worked for the Karate Kid....

I tried this by accident the other day and decided I should keep doing it. Balance is better on one foot than the other. Goal: make it easy on both sides.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post